Thompson run,Centre Co, improvements

nymphingmaniac

nymphingmaniac

http://www.centredaily.com/sports/outdoors/article181543856.html

Very interesting - thanks for the link NM.

This is a complicated project that has been in the works for awhile. I think it is very promising and has great potential to improve the Duck Pond, Thompson and the watershed more broadly.

I'm a bit confused (it's been awhile since I've been back around Thompson): During very high water events, is this newly constructed channel simply designed to be a solidified storm water wall that will overflow during flood events? Is the area outside the new gabion walls that is being planted intended to be a wetland that holds water that overflowed the gabions during storms? Is the serpentine design of the gabions intended to slow current speed during floods?

I'm just trying to get a notion in my mind of how this is intended to function during floods.

I have a question to. The article says there are 3 pipes carrying stormwater runoff. Do all 3 of those pipes flow into the Duck Pond? Or does one or more of them flow into the Thompson Run channel that runs adjacent to the Duck Pond?

IMHO, all the stormwater should be routed into the Duck Pond. So that the only water flowing down that channel should be spring water from Thompson Spring.

And the Duck Pond should be greatly increased in size, both in area and in depth, and redesigned to function as a stormwater retention pond.

In other words it should have a large amount of storage so that it can retain a lot of stormwater, to reduce peak flows in Thompson Run downstream from the Duck Pond.

Yeah, it's gonna reduce sediment, but that alone won't do much to decrease the peak flows, which have ripped the stream down to bedrock in some places. Some of the best pools have been lost because of bank structure getting ripped out by floods.

The only way to increase the capacity of the duck pond though would be to raise the embankment all the way around including the portion that runs along the spring fed channel. That would easily cost several million dollars.

With that said, it is certainly possible to do, and I welcome any improvements to that stream, as it is still suffering from the poor stormwater practices of 50 years ago.

don't know the answer to all of your questions, but the thompson run channel is isolated and receives no stormwater directly from large pipes. That does not rule out it making its way in there via smaller culverts or overflow.

Back