Sulfur Nymph populations: Spring Creek

S

Sylvaneous

I've had a hard time finding many sulfur nymphs on Spring Creek. I have found a few (couple per rock) of the much smaller ones, but not the (around) sz. 14 bugs that should be there in abundance. I've seen more and fewer of them and this is definitely in the 'fewer' category. I don't live on Spring Creek so maybe the regulars can correct me about what I see; what more innocuous factors this may be due to. When I first flyfished Spring in the 90's, the sulfur nymphs were 2-deep covering the bottoms of rocks. In the not-too recent past (I guess, the 90's could be included in this) I have seen seasons of sulfur hatches that were not up-to-par. Maybe this is one of those years? I found some big Gray Fox nymphs, so it might not be pollution/siltation as, I believe they are categorized as being less tolerant than sulfurs.
Whats your input?

I agree that the sulphur hatch is not as good as in the 1990s, and many other anglers have made the same observation. I don't know why.

Regarding the #14 nymphs, I think quite a few of the 14s may have hatched already.

I saw a few 16s sulphur duns recently, so they've started.

I don't think turning over rocks is a very accurate way of measuring insect populations. When you pick up a rock, a lot of the insects release themselves from the rock before you have time to turn it over. A better method is to use a sein and dislodge insects with you feet or hands.

I think rock rolling is a useful indicator of bug populations, esp clinger type mayflies. Although a far cry from scientific, if one is consistent in how they do the rock rolling, I think conclusions can be drawn about bug populations (at least I'd like to believe this).

Syl,
Are you checking the same sections of Spring Creek?
I'll take troutbert's word on sulphers...and of course it does seem to reinforce your observations. Perhaps there's something going on.

Syl, Fish,
I agree i sample everytime i fish Spring and with the recent 100 year flood events ,the darn bypass,and the out of control development of the Happy Valley,i think the over siltation and heated rainwater runoff has hurt this stream as bad as the pcbs did years ago.
The 90's were great as thats when i started fishing it,lots of bugs decent hatches and much better habitat.
Kind of reminds me of what has happened here in the Lehigh Valley with the out of control development, the Lil Lehigh,Monocacy,Bushkill and Suacon have suffered from siltation, i remember many more bugs on all the streams aforementioned.Now if you want to catch fish its Midge central..why because most midge species thrive in a silty enviroment as do the tricos, hell even the caddis hatches pale to what they used to be.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Here's a theory.
last year, around sulphur time, the streams in the area were quite low. i think about half the flow, I guess I could check. Anyway, the bugs would have deposited eggs in areas that may be too deep to access this year or these areas have the water rushing through and the nymphs are washed off

Yes, basically
Fishidiot wrote:
I think rock rolling is a useful indicator of bug populations, esp clinger type mayflies. Although a far cry from scientific, if one is consistent in how they do the rock rolling, I think conclusions can be drawn about bug populations (at least I'd like to believe this).

Syl,
Are you checking the same sections of Spring Creek?
I'll take troutbert's word on sulphers...and of course it does seem to reinforce your observations. Perhaps there's something going on.

As you noted, I am finding it indicative. I've been picking up rocks for many years. I know what I should see on what streams. I SHOULD see way more sulfur nymphs that I am seeing. As I said, they used to be THICK on the bottoms of the rocks. Now? Zilch...

Really rocky freestone streams like Oil Creek don't show their bugs nearly so easily. I rarely see sulfur nymphs there, but they are there none the less. I'm guessing they are deeper in the substrata. I mean, they have to come from somewhere! Spring creek bugs don't have as much loose rock to live on, so they have to be near the surface of the bed. Thats where you should find them and I'm not seeing that many.
Sy

Back