Riparian planting project maintenance and after project seining

Maurice

Maurice

Administrator
Staff member
In October 2004 MCTU planted a short stretch of a tributary stream to the North Branch of Muddy Creek. This previously "mowed to the bank" step across stream section is just a short piece downstream from one of our streamside incubators where we hatch eyed brown trout eggs. These trout are the prodigy of two hatchery parents (brothers and sisters of the ones that come on the white trucks each spring). The difference is that these brown trout have to survive entirely on their own from foraging for food and finding suitable cover.

This stream is shallow, I mean 2-4" deep is a deep spot and for the first months of their lives it supplied cool clean water in the heat of summer and once they become larger they move downstream and ultimately into the North Branch of Muddy Creek.

We were really impressed with the success of the riparian project over the past 12 years and today we maintained it removing MF Rose and Honeysuckle vines, Virginia Creeper, etc. Then we went and seined the stream to see if we could find any of our babies.

Here they are. Alive and well and all the attributes of wild brown trout.

This is one of the examples to support my assertion that the Spot patterns and color focus to the lateral line spots is determined at a very early age. And once they reach an age where the spots are fixed and permanent, (in a nursery with fishmeal) they cannot ever look like this. Brown trout don't change their spots.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• A fistfull of brown trout.jpg
    A fistfull of brown trout.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 8
  • incubator browns1.jpg
    incubator browns1.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 4
  • incubator browns2.jpg
    incubator browns2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 4
  • incubator browns3.jpg
    incubator browns3.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 5
  • incubator browns4.jpg
    incubator browns4.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 3
Nice trout!

Neat. Do any of these fish return to spawn here as adults, or do the eggs need to be planted every year? Or is spawning not really expected in such a small stream and it's just a refuge for the young trout?

Any pics of the stream/riparian project area?

sarce wrote:
Neat. Do any of these fish return to spawn here as adults, or do the eggs need to be planted every year? Or is spawning not really expected in such a small stream and it's just a refuge for the young trout?

Any pics of the stream/riparian project area?

Sarce,
I will post up the pics of the riparian project when I get them from the guy who took them.

We plant them every year. Its not large enough for spawning trout where we plant them. Its just a refuge. Downstream there is more habitat for potential spawning. And just a mile or so below is the North Branch.

We believe they are more likely to reproduce than stocked or fingerling trout. They act and look like wild brown trout. But on its face it is a stocking program. Albiet with less than immediate results and more potential for long term success.

incubators

Attachments

• IntakeRESIZE.jpg
    IntakeRESIZE.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Bucket.RESIZE.jpg
    Bucket.RESIZE.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 5
  • FreezerResize.jpg
    FreezerResize.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 3
Great work and I hope it pays off with a self sustainable population in the near future.

Question for you Mo, and I am no way criticizing any of your efforts.

You mentioned one of the plants you are removing is Virginia Creeper. Isn't that a native plant?

I have a ton of it around here and know it can be a pain if you are trying to encourage other plant growth, but I thought it was native.

P.S. Good job on the project, but you should have used brook trout. ;-)

Back