Pine Creek watershed probable issue

DaveKile

DaveKile

Administrator
Staff member
Looking into Didymo diatoms being found in Pine Creek watershed by the DEP on June 18, 2013. Not good.

Bill Kosmer who is reporting this is a friend and very reliable source. This is very recent news and probably more to come. I have not found other official announcements. Please let me know when you hear more.

"Living Didymo diatoms were obtained on June 18, 2013 from Pine Creek at a location upstream of Waterville in the vicinity of the Hamilton Bottom Canoe Access Area; Lycoming County. This represents the first evidence of this invasive diatom in this watershed. In fact, prior to this discovery no Didymosphenia geminata diatoms were known by DEP to exist in Pennsylvania waters except at verified infestations sites in the Youghiogheny River and the West Brach/mainstem of the Delaware Rivers. "

More from Bill at Trout Tales
http://t.co/IaL63bHKx1

Yeah lets blame it on felt soles. not the 1,000's of yakers and canoes from all over who have know idea. I've see outfitters from the delaware water shed bus them in from there.

No doubt - a real downer......but not entirely surprising.

It will be interesting to see how this develops. Pine Creek doesn't really fit the mold of a cold, tailwater environment where snot tends to thrive. If it can really take hold and bloom in Pine Creek, this could be highly problematic not just for Pine but the entire downstream areas in the Susquehanna watershed.

This is very sad to hear. It is a good example of why we must strive to be diligent in our cleaning of our gear whether felt soles or watercraft. Many users on here enjoy both fly fishing and canoeing/kayaking.

Regardless of how you feel about the felt-sole issue this is why we must do our best to avoid this. Can you imagine being the one to blame for this?

Someone just ruined the favorite trout fishing of a lot of anglers around here. And despite the fact that some on here will say MS was already going to doom the creek anyhow, it did not.

What disappointing news, I fear it will not be the last we here of the spread of Didymo in Pa.

TimRobinsin wrote:
This is very sad to hear. It is a good example of why we must strive to be diligent in our cleaning of our gear whether felt soles or watercraft. Many users on here enjoy both fly fishing and canoeing/kayaking.

Regardless of how you feel about the felt-sole issue this is why we must do our best to avoid this. Can you imagine being the one to blame for this?

Someone just ruined the favorite trout fishing of a lot of anglers around here. And despite the fact that some on here will say MS was already going to doom the creek anyhow, it did not.

What disappointing news, I fear it will not be the last we here of the spread of Didymo in Pa.

What stream was ruined? What is MS?

troutbert wrote:
TimRobinsin wrote:

What stream was ruined? What is MS?

Marcellus Shale

Someone just ruined the favorite trout fishing of a lot of anglers around here.

That's a bit over the top. I've fished several of the didymo infested streams (Upper Delaware, South Holston, etc.), and while the stuff is a pain those rivers still have some of the best trout fishing anywhere.

Also, I believe a recent study found that didymo is present in a substantial number of watersheds that don't have major blooms like the tailwaters do. Just because it is there doesn't mean its going to take over the river.

Pine is a favorite of mine and I have some property up there, so this does have some personal stake for me. I don't think it's time to panic just yet.

Bad news for sure.
And unfortunately, I also fear that we're going to be hearing this kind of thing more and more.

My brother- in-law has a camp near the yough river, by confluence.
And I get down there several times a year for get togethers. He has lots of other friends who also have camps there, that I get to talk to. And when I bring up the subject of didymo in that river - none of them seem to have even heard about it, let alone care about taking precautions while utilizing the river.

midnightangler wrote:
Someone just ruined the favorite trout fishing of a lot of anglers around here.

That's a bit over the top. I've fished several of the didymo infested streams (Upper Delaware, South Holston, etc.), and while the stuff is a pain those rivers still have some of the best trout fishing anywhere.

Also, I believe a recent study found that didymo is present in a substantial number of watersheds that don't have major blooms like the tailwaters do. Just because it is there doesn't mean its going to take over the river.

Pine is a favorite of mine and I have some property up there, so this does have some personal stake for me. I don't think it's time to panic just yet.

+1

With the amount of usage Pine creek gets from people that are from all corners of the state..... its definately a cause for concern in the spreading aspect.
I'll wait for the PFBC report though.

Not great news but let's see what happens. I'm thinking Pine gets too warm to support any substantial bloom / infestation.

Yeah, but what about the tribs. Isnt there atleast one from up the Delaware thats infected? Lyman or Dyberry or something like that? Wouldnt that mean there will be spreadable didymo every year on Pine?

Squaretail wrote:
Yeah, but what about the tribs. Isnt there atleast one from up the Delaware thats infected? Lyman or Dyberry or something like that? Wouldnt that mean there will be spreadable didymo every year on Pine?

It's Dyberry, Dan. The PFBC confirmed it here on the Upper D River down to Bucks County, the Yough River and Dyberry as of last year. It's Pine this year, I guess.

I will also venture a guess that it's in many more streams that have yet to be documented.

Unless you can train the geese to use a foot wash station, good luck stopping the spread of it. Hope there is something developed to control it growth.

never been there but according to the report I would say sandfly is on the money with his analysis. I almost always power wash my canoe after using it and then heading to different waters

I thought Didymo dies when it dries. If that is the case, I would think a canoe or raft would be dry by the time it was transported from the Delaware to Pine Creek.

Interesting. Never even heard of this and I kayak all the time. So what can be done to clean boats or waders??? Bleach mixed with water and wash?? Letting your boat dry for days before going into another waterway??

PASKIINGSUCKS wrote:
Interesting. Never even heard of this and I kayak all the time. So what can be done to clean boats or waders??? Bleach mixed with water and wash?? Letting your boat dry for days before going into another waterway??

I would think a kayak or canoe would dry quickly. The reason felt is so bad is because it doesn't dry quickly. It's like a sponge. I just have a hard time believing the spread of didymo to Pine Creek is from a watercraft of any sort. They would have to leave the Delaware River area and head right to Pine Creek. I just don't think that happens often and if it did, the watercraft would probably be dry from the ride there.

There is a solution that kills the stuff on contact, but I'm not sure what that consists of exactly.

Look, it's like Krayfish said...you gonna get every goose and duck to wash their feet before entering a water system? It can't be done. We should be as cautious as possible, but also realistic. I think, as Kray has said, our best hope is developing something that can control this crap.

Back