PA DCNR State Forest Use Survey

franklin

franklin

The PA DCNR is conducting a survey on state forest use. Good opportunity to provide inputs on how our SFs are managed.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/stateforestmanagement/sfrmp/survey_fd15/index.htm

Keep in mind a number of our best streams traverse a SF.

Thanks for the link - will do.

Thanks for the link. I'm a big fan of our State Forests and feel they are under-appreciated by many.

Spent some time in the PA lands today. Mine sent and thanks.
Firandfeather

Took the survey and sent it to my friends. thanks for the heads up.

I took the survey. Thanks for the post.

Since I live in SE PA, it seems to me that most of the smaller SF land that I visit is not managed as well as other states that I have been to. I am sure it is fine for hunting and fishing opportunities, but I have seen SF land in MD, MT and OR that have better rustic camping opportunities along streams/rivers within the SF boundaries. Most of these were well maintained and had some amenities such as primitive bathrooms and potable water access. They were spaced far enough apart from one another that you didn't feel like you were in a private campground. They usually charged a minimal fee of $5 per site per night. I am not too familiar with the larger SF areas of NC and NW PA. Do these forests have these type of camping areas along streams?

In particular and closer to home I am thinking of Savage River SF in MD. They have very nice camping sites that are accessed by roads, not just back country trails and are along the Savage River and many smaller brookie streams. They are cheap and clean and seemingly well managed.

The SF's in my areas are basically like SGL's. Just open forested areas with little management.

CLSports wrote:
I took the survey. Thanks for the post.

Since I live in SE PA, it seems to me that most of the smaller SF land that I visit is not managed as well as other states that I have been to. I am sure it is fine for hunting and fishing opportunities, but I have seen SF land in MD, MT and OR that have better rustic camping opportunities along streams/rivers within the SF boundaries. Most of these were well maintained and had some amenities such as primitive bathrooms and potable water access. They were spaced far enough apart from one another that you didn't feel like you were in a private campground. They usually charged a minimal fee of $5 per site per night. I am not too familiar with the larger SF areas of NC and NW PA. Do these forests have these type of camping areas along streams?

In particular and closer to home I am thinking of Savage River SF in MD. They have very nice camping sites that are accessed by roads, not just back country trails and are along the Savage River and many smaller brookie streams. They are cheap and clean and seemingly well managed.

The SF's in my areas are basically like SGL's. Just open forested areas with little management.

I know of some SF primitive sites along streams but none with water or any type of rest rooms. For instance I know of several sites along White Deer Creek. I'm guessing primitive rest rooms along streams could be problematic due to flooding.

Hopefully you have expressed your interests in the survey and if enough people are of like mind it may happen.

Back