New Zealand Mud Snails in Spring Creek, Centre Co

F

Fishidiot

More news of the spread of invasives. The article provides some info on controlling these pests on your gear:

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/newsreleases/2013press/new-zealand-mudsnail.htm

Not good news. We should all take caution after fishing any water, but now especially Spring Creek.

On a side note, wonder if fish eat them? Might have to make a new pattern for Spring Creek!

Terrible news, and I can see them easily spreading to BFC, Penns, the Little J, and other area streams with the amount of people who make trips to that area and fish those streams in the same day. Looks like I'm bringing Spring Creek specific boots next time I'm out there.

I too wonder if the fish will eat them. Take a look at the gobies in the great lakes for example, the bass love them.

If there is a real danger from these snails then why wait until your samples are confirmed six months later. Especially on one the most heavily fished streams in the state. I would bet Penns, Little J, Spruce, BFC and inumerable freestoners have already been exposed. Although the limestoners were probably already exposed prior to April.

These will probably turn up in Penns, Little J, BFC shortly

I found these guys today when I went to Spring Creek. I was at what I call the concrete bridge below fisherman's paradise and the little tributary that flows in by the bridge had them. I picked up some vegetation and they were literally covering it. This kind of stuff keeps getting worse. There is never an end to invasive species!!

Back