More work along the Loyalhanna

F

foxfire

Another phase of extensive stream improvements above the FF only section in Ligonier. A ton of money being spent on purely a put-and-take fishery (?) with little public access.

foxfire wrote:
Another phase of extensive stream improvements above the FF only section in Ligonier. A ton of money being spent on purely a put-and-take fishery (?) with little public access.

I'm unfamiliar with the project but work directly up stream will tpyically have direct benefits to areas downstream, which in this case sems to b a pulbic access FF only area.

Do you know the specifics of the project to share with us?

No, other than last year's project was a joint effort (I think) between TU and The Richard King Mellon foundation. The work was beautiful and greatly improved the stream habitat, though it runs fairly low in the summer. With future budget/stocking cuts, it seems like a lot of expense (though I'm not complaining!!!!) for a fishery solely dependent on stockings.

I too would appreciate any additional information....

Here's an article about it.

http://tinyurl.com/Loyal-Hanna

In good years fish survive the summer in the DH section. The upstream improvements and improvements within the DH should increase the likelihood and number of summer holdovers. This can only be a good thing.

In years past, I did participate in a great deal of that stream improvement. Much of it was bank stabilization, which prevented tons of sediment from entering the streambed. As well as maintaining riparian habitat.

It is worth noting it is not flyfishing only, but Delayed harvest, Artificial lures only. And a very popular spot at that. Some of the previous work done back into the late seventies won Forbes Trail TU the "Silver Trout award IIRC.

Thanks for the article troutbert! Exciting to see the improvements in action.

foxfire wrote:

With little public access? Is this private water?

the area along the Loyalhanna being discussed is probably less than a mile, most if not all on private land. The available access, parking, etc. has been graciously permitted by the land owners. Of course this could be pulled at any time. In fact, during opening day 2013, there were multiple complaints with police being called for anglers treaspassing through private land. Just seems a lot of expense for minimal or short-term public usage.

i fish this stream alot behind the retirement home down to behind the carwash usually...got skunked twice in the end of the july a few days after some heavy rain..the creek had a funny smell to it and a few more local fisherman told me that they think it may have been contaiminated with something after the heavy rain does anyone know about this?

Since when is a channel split a bad thing, most streams in natural settings have them and it doesn't reduce trout populations. And where arethe trees, you can't restore a stream without them. The structures may not prevent erosion, in fact it can, when it's hardscapped, cause more erosion. Even trees don't prevent erosion, but that section pictured clearly needs trees.

Chaz wrote:
Since when is a channel split a bad thing, most streams in natural settings have them and it doesn't reduce trout populations. And where arethe trees, you can't restore a stream without them. The structures may not prevent erosion, in fact it can, when it's hardscapped, cause more erosion. Even trees don't prevent erosion, but that section pictured clearly needs trees.

Chaz,

Down in the article....

Penatzer said LWA plans to add more vegetation to the site in October for further protection from erosion.

“We'll plant trees to get more of a root system established to hold the soil,” he said.

Vegetated mid channel bars below bridge piers causes the stream, in this case a very large stream during high water events to put sheer stress on the banks in a straight channel. This isn't a brookie stream in a forested environment. Removal of the mid channel bar is necessary to protect the bankfull benches which allow the stream to access the floodplain.

The cross rock vanes provide concentrated flow to allow proper bedload transfer and prevent the need to dredge under the bridges.

As a byproduct they also create plunge pools and habitat for fish species.

This project isn't sponsored by TU for the restoration of trout streams. Its a community development project funded by a private foundation (mellon) and sponsored by several local watershed and conservancy groups.

As stated above, in the long term the trout fishing opportunities will improve in downstream areas.

So you'll get your trees. Happy now?

i fish this stream alot behind the retirement home down to behind the carwash usually...got skunked twice in the end of the july a few days after some heavy rain..the creek had a funny smell to it and a few more local fisherman told me that they think it may have been contaiminated with something after the heavy rain does anyone know about this?

Didn't hear about the contamination??? The local land owners (which include me) were ordered off septic systems and forced at outrages cost to tap into the local sanitary systems to prevent such run-off issue. All and all a good thing, but very expensive, particularly for weekenders. The local heavy machinery operators just raped the home owners on the cost of digging the taps. Quite shameful to say the least.

yuengling; The "unusual" (crap) smell is the Ligonier Borough sewer treatment plant adjacent to the delayed harvest section, just west of the swinging bridge. When it is hot or if the streams rise, the smell is awful. To date, I have heard nothing that there is any sewer drainage into the Loyalhanna from the plant other than treated water.

foxfire; I totally understand your complaints concerning the ravaging of land for the updated sewer lines. As you said, this is a good thing for water quality in the long run. The costs are crazy, my in-laws went through the same thing. I used to live behind Idlewild Park and you could see/smell seepage of poorly maintained septic tanks. As a fisherman/resident without stream-side real estate, I am happy with the sewer improvements but understand your frustration. However, it was long overdue. Real estate isn't discriminate of weekenders or residents.

foxfire wrote:
The local heavy machinery operators just raped the home owners on the cost of digging the taps. Quite shameful to say the least.

There are state price gouging laws. Under this circumstance, (required action from a municipality) perhaps legal action could have been taken against these criminals... that's exactly what they are too.

Their M.O. was to not give an exact price "dont know what we may run into until we start digging". I had three "guestimates"
for a 10 foot tap between $1,800 - 13,000. Guess what I would have paid if I were a chick or and elderly person?!?!?

I fished Mill Creek and Loyalhanna many times as a boy. Lots of good memories of opening days on Mill Creek. It was all bait fishing back then with a yellow Eagle Claw fly rod but it sure shortened the learning curve when I took up fly fishing. Fish the DHALO section of Loyallhanna every once in awhile. I see nothing but benefits from this stream improvement work.

Smallmouths need a place to live too..

Back