Habitat Work on Big Spring Creek (Newville)?

T

troutbert

I recently read an interview of John Arway, the new PFBC chief. He said that they got Richard Hey, a stream expert from England, to do a plan for habitat work on Big Spring Creek, and that the work will begin this summer.

Has the work begun yet or does anyone know of what type of work is planned? I heard a talk by Richard Hey one time and he seemed to be one of the more intelligent and savvy people on the topic of the physical aspects of streams. I hope things go well. There's cold fertile water, so the potential is there for a superb fishery if the habitat stuff can be figured out.

I'm confused about this too. Back in April I looked at every document in the PFBC archive on Big Spring Creek (for a different reason) and there was no info on the latest habitat improvement project, probably because it was still being planned. One should keep in mind that projects on Big Spring have been a perpetual development for decades so this is just the latest. At the last CVTU meeting it was put out that the engineer contracted to develop the project had run into a problem and that there would be delays but this is all I know. These problems have apparently been resolved and the PFBC is on board with the projest now. I don't know what sort of habitat improvement is being considered but it apparently involves the upper fly water below the "ditch." Personally, I have mixed feelings about this and would like to know more details. Big Spring is improving so dramatically and changing so rapidly I'm not sure if I want to see changes that might deepen the stream channel, esp in the upper sections where brookies predominate (there's a theory that brookies spawn better in shallow water with current upwellings). Perhaps the PFBC will put on their website the proposals. If I find out more at next week's CVTU meeting I'll keep you informed.

Hmm, just from a casual observer of Big Spring, I do think it spreads too wide below the ditch, but I thought that was a natural occurence. I am Chaz-like in my feelings that unless man has created the problem on the creek, then it isn't really a problem to be messed with. Nature will sort itself out.

JackM wrote:
Hmm, just from a casual observer of Big Spring, I do think it spreads too wide below the ditch, but I thought that was a natural occurence. I am Chaz-like in my feelings that unless man has created the problem on the creek, then it isn't really a problem to be messed with. Nature will sort itself out.

I've never fished it or even been there but I was under the impression that man had caused the problems for Big Spring?

I'm more of a protect and preserve the riparian zone and the stream will take care of itself guy too. I've listened to Mr. Landis, and I believe that streams are meant to meander and change constantly. For the most part, streambank stabilization and other in-stream devices like that are needed only to correct man-made problems.

Troutbert,
Please check your PM.

JackM wrote:

Back in the water-power days Big Spring was not so much a stream as a series of millponds backed up by mill dams.

Those wide areas (flats) are where sediment filled in the old millponds.

Physically, Big Spring Creek is a highly artificial man-made system from source to mouth.

Are they doing habitat work guys?

Id like to know. I might be able to help out.

Rarely can i ever say that a stream is better off being channelized. But to an extent, Big Spring's channel needs to be condensed a little, it does get way to wide for the amount of water, and fish habitat would increase dramatically if the channel was narrowed slightly in places. It lacks alot of depth and overhead cover, which in turn concentrates fish into certain spots, rather than having a nice spread out population. Another issue is the fact that it is a fertile limestoner, it doesnt get changed by heavry rains and run off like other streams. In 3 years of fishing it for about 3 times a week i never saw the stream change color, during or after rains. This makes it a slower process than a normal stream that is influenced more by runoff. Those valley streams sure are a gem though!

Back