Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Dam on Pine Creek?

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
Franklin they all are serviced by trucks, don't let it fool ya the one pumping over the mtn. will be serviced by trucks on top. Its not just feeding one well but lots of them in the surrounding area.

Posted on: 2011/5/13 8:51

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From SE PA
Quote:

sandfly wrote:
Franklin they all are serviced by trucks, don't let it fool ya the one pumping over the mtn. will be serviced by trucks on top. Its not just feeding one well but lots of them in the surrounding area.

Understood. It's still better to move the trucks away from stream side. All those trucks coming up to the stream bank causes a lot of erosion. In addition they are older trucks in marginal state of repair. I bet there is a lot of oil on the ground in the areas they frequent. Spilled engine and lubricating oil is one of the most listed violations when they inspect well sites per the DEP inspection reports.

Posted on: 2011/5/13 9:40

From NC PA Mountains
Quote:

franklin wrote:
Is the Galeton withdraw site serviced by trucks?

Not now. They put a pipeline under Pine Creek and ran it up over the mountain.

Posted on: 2011/5/14 7:17

From lancaster county
Quote:
As long as some common sense is used during drought periods and the overall cumulative affect is considered when handing out withdraw permits the stream can support a fair number of wells without noticing the withdraws.

When the all mighty dollar is at work and we dont have the resources to monitor these activities.....what are the chances of environmental common sense by the industry?

Common sense to them helps the bottom line.

Posted on: 2011/5/14 7:50

From SE PA
Quote:

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
Quote:
As long as some common sense is used during drought periods and the overall cumulative affect is considered when handing out withdraw permits the stream can support a fair number of wells without noticing the withdraws.

When the all mighty dollar is at work and we dont have the resources to monitor these activities.....what are the chances of environmental common sense by the industry?

Common sense to them helps the bottom line.

It's the permitting processes that requires some common sense. I don't expect driller A at the top of Pine to know what driller B at the lower end is doing. The sum withdrawl on any given day is where any real impact comes, not any single location except in very severe drought.

If the permitting process does not take into account the cumulative effect then it needs to be amended. I've heard conflicting stories about the processes and it seems they vary by major watershed.

Posted on: 2011/5/14 8:48

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

franklin wrote:
We have shown the math to calculate water withdrawal impacts in previous threads. In summary about 995 million gallons flowed by the Waterville gauge in the last 24 hours. If a driller withdrew 6 million gallons today for well fracking less than 0.7% of the water would have been removed.

We who?

And you are assuming one well. We have already established there will be multiple wells at 6million gallons per. 995 million, if that is accurate, in early may during a very wet spring will be much different when the stream is running at less than half of that or 1/10th of that.

Posted on: 2011/5/14 17:40

From SE PA
Quote:

tomgamber wrote:
Quote:

franklin wrote:
We have shown the math to calculate water withdrawal impacts in previous threads. In summary about 995 million gallons flowed by the Waterville gauge in the last 24 hours. If a driller withdrew 6 million gallons today for well fracking less than 0.7% of the water would have been removed.

We who?

And you are assuming one well. We have already established there will be multiple wells at 6million gallons per. 995 million, if that is accurate, in early may during a very wet spring will be much different when the stream is running at less than half of that or 1/10th of that.

Myself, gone4day, I believe pcray was involved in related threads, and some others. Somewhere in the archives there is at least one thread that shows the math involved.

As I indicated above it's the cumulative effect that needs to be managed. And yes, when flows drop to summertime levels the total withdraw should be further limited. There should be a minimum level at which point all withdraws would stop until flows increase. There are a number of ways formulas to determine acceptable withdraw rates could be managed. I believe there were some suggestions in previous threads on the topic.

Posted on: 2011/5/14 20:37

From Greensburg, PA
franklin wrote:

[/quote]

Myself, gone4day, I believe pcray was involved in related threads, and some others. Somewhere in the archives there is at least one thread that shows the math involved.

As I indicated above it's the cumulative effect that needs to be managed. And yes, when flows drop to summertime levels the total withdraw should be further limited. There should be a minimum level at which point all withdraws would stop until flows increase. There are a number of ways formulas to determine acceptable withdraw rates could be managed. I believe there were some suggestions in previous threads on the topic. [/quote]

See, at least you use the word "should". I wonder if the drilling companies will.

Posted on: 2011/5/14 21:06

From Collegeville, PA
I don't think that taking the number of wells being drilled at one time and multiplying it by the amount of water needed per well is an accurate way of determining the possible inpact on the water level of the given stream or river. You have to understand that each well site in the Pine Creek Valley is at a different stage of the drilling process. That means that all of the well sites will not be fracking at the same time. Some might frack this summer at different times. But, some might not frack until this fall or winter. Also, since Pine Creek is mostly a stocked stream for over 2/3rds of its length, the effects of any fish kill would only last until they stocked more trout the next year. Pine Creek most years gets too warm for trout by the time the water gets low enough for any problems to accure.

Posted on: 2011/5/15 15:14

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

TYoung wrote:
the effects of any fish kill would only last until they stocked more trout the next year. Pine Creek most years gets too warm for trout by the time the water gets low enough for any problems to accure.

unless of course you were a fly or spin fisherman and bugs and other food sources for fish are worth keeping.

Posted on: 2011/5/15 15:18

From harlansburg
Quote:
the effects of any fish kill would only last until they stocked more trout the next year. Pine Creek most years gets too warm for trout by the time the water gets low enough for any problems to accure.

so the hell with the rest of the life that the creek supports? honestly?? this may be the most short-sighted thing I've ever read here.

Posted on: 2011/5/15 20:13

From lancaster county
Wild Trout use Pine Creek in the fall, winter and spring. They will make their way up the tribs in the summer to take refuge.

What if the water is to low for them to make the journey?

Posted on: 2011/5/15 21:12

The conditions of any water withdrawal permit limit the total maximum that can be withdrawn per day and has nothing to do with the total number of wells the site serves.

Every permit has a minimum stream flow number assigned to it based on total flow to a particular withdrawal location. Once the stream falls to this level, all water withdrawals need to stop. Not "should" stop, must stop.

The SRBC monitors the stream withdrawals and take into account the total withdrawal amount for a particular watershed.

Posted on: 2011/5/15 21:19

From SE PA
Quote:

pennsangler wrote:
The conditions of any water withdrawal permit limit the total maximum that can be withdrawn per day and has nothing to do with the total number of wells the site serves.

Every permit has a minimum stream flow number assigned to it based on total flow to a particular withdrawal location. Once the stream falls to this level, all water withdrawals need to stop. Not "should" stop, must stop.

The SRBC monitors the stream withdrawals and take into account the total withdrawal amount for a particular watershed.

I used the term should because I don't know the specifics of the permitting process and wasn't sure if they had a minimum flow at which they stopped withdraws. It sounds as if the SRBC is managing the water withdraws properly.

Your response reminded me of an earlier thread http://www.paflyfish.com/forums/Open- ... -stream--in-trouble----/2,17440,flat.html

Note Andrew Dehoff's comment in post #21.

Posted on: 2011/5/15 22:11

Edited by franklin on 2011/5/15 22:49:29
Edited by franklin on 2011/5/15 22:50:15
Edited by franklin on 2011/5/15 22:51:37
Edited by franklin on 2011/5/15 22:55:12
Edited by franklin on 2011/5/15 22:56:06
Edited by franklin on 2011/5/15 22:57:32
Edited by franklin on 2011/5/15 22:59:15

Apparently that coffer dam washed away a few days back.

Posted on: 2011/5/23 17:00

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com