Any PFBC Guys Around

littlejuniata

littlejuniata

Permitting a liquid pesticide facility on the Banks of The Little Juniata is sort of like taping 10 sticks of dynamite to the motor of your car. Agree or not??

Good question but I think its one for the DEP.

Edit: Is someone proposing this?

LJ you need to contact DEP if you are concerned, they are the governing body in this case and are the ones responsible for the permitting of said facility. PFBC may have a small part in it but DEP is the one handing out the master permit. Depending on the stage of the project you may or may not be able to really do anything about it.

Depends on the safety of the plant. I'm not saying your wrong, I don't know enough about the plant to say that. But its possible that facility is safer and more environmentally friendly than your average house. What they actually make is only one factor of many when determining risk to the environment. If that dynamite has excellent controls to keep it from going boom....

As was said, its the DEP, not the PFBC, you need to contact.

And the Army Corps of Engineers, they are in charge of issuing permits for any time of work occurring in flood plains.

Well let's see now in the winter flood of 95-96 the foundatio of the facility was partiall washed out the spray trucks were flooded as well as pallets of concentrated pesticide that had recently been delivered

All the macros in 14 miles of the river were killed

The trouts entire food supply was gone

you canbe glad you didn't have to see those horribly emaciated
trout when the commission shocked the river

I will never forget that sight ever, nor would you

seems strange that no one here asked

where. When. Or how

DEPs comment was

we don't know what killed the macros bu it won't hurt humans

Brilliant!

littlejuniata wrote:

seems strange that no one here asked

where. When. Or how

how about post #2...but you have never answered a question so I chalked it up to you being you.

rant on...

Mike Where the hell are you

are you going to address this or not?

LJ, You should consider making an apology for that post.

Or, delete it if you can still do so.

Mike is off work for the remainder of the week, LJ. I have some issues to discuss with him, and he mentioned that he was not going to be around any day but Monday.

You should edit your tone out of the post.

LJ,

Mike is not at your beck and call. He posts on this site on his own, and in no official capacity. I doubt that he does it out of enjoyment, but he could be sadist. :)

If you have a question for him, contact him at the PFBC SE office. But LJ, why not contact the Fisheries Biologist at SC region office. We, at least I, don't even know who that is. Mike is the only person that posts on here from the PFBC (although I beleive some WCOs do post here on occasion). He gets all the spears & arrows for everything the FBC does, and doesn't do according to our opinion.

While I don't always agree with Mike or the PFBC and their policies, I respect the fact that he comes on here and provides info and insight. Thanks Mike.

Again, if you need some info or want to gripe about your local stream call the office in your region. If Mike becomes the new Executive Director of the PFBC, than I guess he's fair game.

LJ I'm probably one of the most ruthless people who posts on this board in real life and would never write to Mike in that manner .I don't agree with some of the stuff that goes on in my region but I know that Mike works with what he has and doesn't have the final say in the decisions that the PFBC makes let alone the DEP which is who you should be spending your time complaining to instead of blasting Mike on here. Your bark is 100 times worse than your bite.... Stop crying on here and become a man of action and make something happen . Just Saying ...........

afishinado wrote:
LJ,

Mike is not at your beck and call. He posts on this site on his own, and in no official capacity. I doubt that he does it out of enjoyment, but he could be sadist. :)

If you have a question for him, contact him at the PFBC SE office. But LJ, why not contact the Fisheries Biologist at SC region office. We, at least I, don't even know who that is. Mike is the only person that posts on here from the PFBC (although I beleive some WCOs do post here on occasion). He gets all the spears & arrows for everything the FBC does, and doesn't do according to our opinion.

While I don't always agree with Mike or the PFBC and their policies, I respect the fact that he comes on here and provides info and insight. Thanks Mike.

Again, if you need some info or want to gripe about your local stream call the office in your region. If Mike becomes the new Executive Director of the PFBC, than I guess he's fair game.

I'll second this. Folks need to lay off Mike.

I think Mike has a thick enough skin and will not hold it against anyone other than the poster of rude remarks.

WTF

All I ask was that Mike comment n the pesticide facility

now please explain why I need to apologize or why I am "picking on him"

PFBC biologists are one of my favorite people groups, I helped Larry Jackson survey the river many many time and loved every minute of it

so pee off with your snide remarks

they are totally uncalled for

littlejuniata wrote:
Mike Where the hell are you

are you going to address this or not?

LJ, who the hell are you

are you going to stop or not?

The vast majority of your rants were in the OT forum, and since I seldom visited there, it was possible to ignore you. At this point, I see no distinction between you and our former friend Spyder. If I were you, I wouldn't complain about the moderators, because if I and quite a few others on this board were a mod, you'd be "band."

So "where the hell are you has never been used in a friendly manner?

use your friggin noodle

OK here is what happened, something killed every macro in 13 miles of river, NOT ONE TROUT KILLED!! They were STARVING

Set scene

River flooded

Pesticide facility on banks of river

Pallets of concentrated pesticide on pallets in the parking lot. I am assuming the concentrated pesticide is heavier than water or it would not dissolve

Pesticide facility flooded gaping hole in the foundation

Where would you look

I saw trout rise in the flat pool immediately below the bridge in the Spring.

DEP issued the permit

DEP investigated the incident (maybe)

3 or 4 govt agencies assigned to monitor the river

the flood was in Jan, what the help were they doing

so we have weather event that may never occur again

and all they did was sit on their azzes, no one bothered to look, not even the PFBC

"Don't Call Me Till The Rivers On Fire"

any DEP guys or PFBC guys have any interest in explaining this?

That sucks. What year? I'd say it has recovered well, considering.

new thoughts edited into the last post

response invited

PFBC

DEP

where are ya

Back