Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

salvageable flys??

From Lancaster, PA
I was at cool spring the other day and got my fly stuck in some low lying branches...I was able to recover my fly but also recovered some other flys that happened to be hanging in the same area on the tree...I'm just curious as to whether or not I'm wasting my time on keeping them...they look slightly discolored and are rusted but I was wondering if they can be salvaged if I clean them up and get the rust off...and if so..any techniques?

I might take some pictures of them and put them up if you guys need a visual

Posted on: 2012/11/3 16:13

Re: salvageable flys??
From Gettysburg
Flies salvaged from trees can certainly be re-used and it's often a good thing to get them out of trees as monofilament line with flies attached is a bird hazard. However, if the hooks are rusty, they should probably be discarded. Rusty hooks are usually very dull and will break if pressure is applied. It depends on the extent of the rust.

Posted on: 2012/11/3 16:20

Edited by Fishidiot on 2012/11/4 7:17:19

If I can tell that they aren't as sharp as a new hook, I won't use them. If they're rusted at all they are finished as well. You can probably catch fish on them, but the possibility that they would fail is a deal breaker for me. You never know when you'll hook a nice fish that you don't want to lose.

Posted on: 2012/11/4 8:08

From Ferguson Twp.
I feel the same as stated above. I'll take it home and tie a couple if I like the looks of it.

Posted on: 2012/11/4 8:55

From LV
Generally if they are the slightest bit rusty I chuck them out. Flies won't live long in that state. But if there's no rust I sharpen them and put them in my box, checking them each time out to see if they have rusted. Rusty flies break and won't hold a point.

Posted on: 2012/11/5 12:55

From SEPA

On the ramifications of rusted hooks, a broken hook is a great story but a rusty hook is not a pleasing idea to jam into anything's flesh, mine or anything I intend to put back into the water.

A hook hone resolves tree dulled points nicely.

As Afish will tell you, I never waste anything. Except leaders from the ground. That was Maurice.

Posted on: 2012/11/6 9:04

From Ohio
I wouldn't fish rusty flies for all the reasons stated above. I have found and salvaged flies. The ones I have kept are unique patterns or color variations of common patterns, I cut the point off at the bend and kept them as examples and then tied my own. Another thing to consider is tetanus as Gfen implied. I got stuck by a rusty hook when I was working one of these flies out of a bush. I wound up needing a tetanus shot because I hadn't had one since I was a kid.

Posted on: 2012/11/8 13:46

From Johnstown, PA
For the rust an emory board , for the feathers and fur hold them in forceps over a pan of boiling water till they look fresher .....GOOD LUCK!!

Posted on: 2012/11/15 7:48

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
If you go the chemical route, use alkaline solutions, not acids. I've used this on hooks, but never hooks with feathers, so be careful on how it attacks the feathers.

Lye, water, and zinc (or zinc oxide, which is easier to get). Dunk hook. Rust gone. It works faster if the solution is hot.

There are a few commercial products that do basically the same thing.

You can try acids, as they are much easier to get. They'll remove the rust. But probably the iron underneath too! You might be able to time it right to get the rust without too much damage. Examples would be white vinegar, lemon juice, etc.

Or you could do it electrolytically. Reverse the rusting process. For instance, you would put washing soda (not baking soda) in water to make it conduct. Attach rusted piece to negative side of battery. Attach something rustable and sacrificial on the positive side (rebar, etc.). Wait. Rust dissappears from the negative side, forms at double the rate on the positive side.

Posted on: 2012/11/20 12:25

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com