nymphs

Brian50

Brian50

What are some good nymphs to use now on the yellowbreeches from boiling spring to lower Allen park

It's not so much what you fish, but how you fish it.

You want the right depth and a little drag as possible.

Size of the fly probably trumps a specific pattern.

However, you can't go wrong with the classics: pheasant tails, hares ear, zug bug, prince nymph, and/or any caddis imitation.

Personally, I almost always have a caddis pupa and a flash back PT on this time of year.

MKern wrote:
It's not so much what you fish, but how you fish it.

You want the right depth and a little drag as possible.

Size of the fly probably trumps a specific pattern.

However, you can't go wrong with the classics: pheasant tails, hares ear, zug bug, prince nymph, and/or any caddis imitation.

Personally, I almost always have a caddis pupa and a flash back PT on this time of year.

+++1 to this ^

It's very rare that fish are locked into feeding on one thing, especially with nymphs. The general patterns work because they are attractors and/or look a little like many things.

I would bet on the FFer every time that can locate fish and get a good drift through the run rather than the guy with the "right" fly.

Good advice from above. ^

With respect to nymph patterns, if it were me and I needed nymphs for YB this week, I'd tie up some Pheasant Tails (size #16) and some Lafontaine caddis pupa (also 16) and maybe some scuds (16,18). Something similar to these patterns ought to produce. Any decent fly shop or online supplier should have these patterns.

Thanks for the help I'm new hope I'm not asking dumb questions

Nothing wrong with the Generalist approach, 80% of my fishing is done that way only changing flies few times throughout the day, however the wild browns in the breeches and other Limestoners are quite picky and sometimes require a more natural imitation. Patterns suggested above by FI are a good match.
Plus, you can never go wrong with midge nymphs any time of the year.

Black Copper John's work best for me. I use a double nymphing rig and historicly 95% of the trout are on the Copper John.

Back