is this a tiger trout?

mutzinbaugh

mutzinbaugh

i thought it was, if so it is my first tiger. thanks.

Attachments

• DSCF0008888888888888888.jpg
    DSCF0008888888888888888.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 13
I would say brown but who the hell knows anymore. I swear to god on clarks just this past year I've seen fish that were half whatever trout and golden rainbow. Ive seen quarter golden mostly trout just insane stuff.

I also say brown.

Looks like a brown trout to me.

I think it's a brown too but it's a tough call at first glance.

These "is this a tiger?" threads pop up here every year and until this photo I've always been confident at a glance in telling the difference. This is the toughest one yet. :)

In recent years, it seems that PFBC's stocked brown trout have seemed to exhibit spot patterns that are more blended creating the illusion that they're tigers. This is clearly a stocked fish and the PFBC doesn't stock tigers but if you were fishing a section with some hatchey fish from a private source, there could certainly be tigers present. But I think this one is just a funky brown.
Neat photo.

I would say tiger.

I say tiger too.

This is the kind of stuff Mike could clear up pretty quick, being he is a biologist working for the F&BC.

I'm not sure. If forced to offer a guess, I'll say this guy is a stocked tiger.

I'm not 100% sure but I'd say tiger.

I instantly thought tiger, but then said brown. If you clue us into what stream it was caught on, unless you prefer not to, then it may help in the ID.

I see alot of Clarks stockies like this. I agree it is a tough call and I really dont know. But alot of the browns you catch these days kinda has this marking atleast in Clarks.

ive caught browns like this with my brother at first I thought they were tigers but they don't stock tigers in the stream I was fishing so just determined it was a brown. cool looking fish none the less.

it was a stockie in the clarks...

i attached another picture with less glare.

Attachments

• clarks tiger.jpg
    clarks tiger.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 3
maybe it is a mutant zebra brown, clarks is kinda close to 3 mile island.

after zooming in i feel really confident that its a brown. still kool fish as others said.

I simply ID it as a "trout".. With all that has gone on over the years with inbreeding/crossbreeding you have to know there will be mutatations so why not this one.. Call it what you want, it's a trout and a product of human intervention.. Personally, I would be more than happy to hook, fight and land it as well...

FAS

With the new pic, and the background, I'm going to amend my previous call and say it's a brown.

I'm still not "certain" by any stretch of the imagination, other than that it's stocked.

I'm going to say Tiger, even though PFBC may not stock tigers in Clarks, some club may.

Brown. The spots on the head and the 'stripe' pattern that has, thus far, been attributed to browns AND tigers, leads me to believe it's another funky brown (which Clarks is known for).

If it's a tiger, it's an ugly tiger (and since not wild, not likely either), and if it's a brown it's a really pretty brown. Great fish!

You know after thinking about this and the basic identity difference between brook trout (light spots on a dark background)and brown trout[EDIT] (Dark spots on a light background)[edit] its clear that the background is light and the spots are dark. I reviewed all the tiger trout pics on the site in the photo section and the vermiculations seem to lean in that direction too.

So I change my vote to weird brown spotting due to the inbreeding of hatchery fish. Also in the other thread of "ugly clarks stockers" there are clear black spots on the gill plate and red spots that do not appear on true tigers.

Back