hello from possibly the worst fly fisher

CrowMoon

CrowMoon

greetings everyone. I signed up today for the forum, i have been reading for awhile to do my research as i just started fly fishing this year. As of now, I can tell you I have no wisdom to impart, but maybe down the road I will.

But if anyone is new, hopefully you can feel better not doing the things i did.....

My very first attempt at fly fishing this year ended with me in the river within 5 minutes of getting there. Lesson, Don't climb underwater boulders. Fortunately i live 1 minute from the river, so i went home and changed, came back with a walking stick. Thought that might help, still don't climb on boulders, ended up back in the water.

I'm getting the wading down though, it's more enjoyable when you stay standing. Not real easy as i severely injured my foot last year and should really not be on uneven surfaces. Oh well.

I am finally able to cast without hooking myself now. Moved to a forefinger grip, i feel like it's less power, but i can prevent my wrist from breaking so much, if you ever saw a guy that looked like he was fencing, that was me wildly swinging the rod around. I will have to get a lesson at some point. I try to stay hidden so non one can watch me.

Still working on setting the hook. Missed a couple bites on caddis larvae, too much slack.

But even with all my ungraceful casting and experimentation, i have actually started catching fish. caught 3 bass, and finally this sunday morning a royal wulff pulled an 18 in brownie out between 2 white water breaks, i couldn't believe he was in there. I couldn't even get a picture because i was by myself and he still had a lot of fight.

I was happy about that, i enjoy reading here, you guys offer some really great idea and suggestions. I'll just keep learning. Will be looking for places around the Palmerton/Walnutport area to keep fly fishing well in late autumn.

Does the river stay cool enough through the gap to target trout through the summer?

Thanks everyone!

Welcom to the party pal!

One thing you didn't mention: what type of wading shoes are you wearing? And are you wearing studs?

well, while i did spend a good deal of time researching my equipment, i kind of forgot about waders, and after i doubled what i wanted to spend, i realized i had to get waders yet. So one day i was at bass pro shops and they had a pile of the old-school solid rubber stinky, smelly hip waders for $25....needless to say it was almost opening day and i didn't want to wait.
I wouldn't be surprised they cause a lot of the problems. It's like walking on ice, with a layer of oil....
I'll have to check into some type of cleat maybe...
good waders are next on list....

Felt sole waders (though may be banned soon) and studded soles will make a WORLD of difference when trying to walk on slipper rocks on the creek bed.

Always wade on the low points. While it is tempting to walk across peaks, you are safer in the valleys.

Yeah, even some of the rubber soles on proper wading boots aren't so bad.

But the rubber hippies. Yeah, those aren't proper wading boots. And the soles are bad. REAL bad.

Most of us using stockingfoot waders and a dedicated pair of wading boots. If you don't got the dough right now, though, you can just buy a felt sole replacement kit (though for you it won't be replacing!). Typically you'll have to sand down whatever crappy tread is on those boots, cut the felt to match, and glue it on.

It will help immensely with the grip. ;)

Hi CrowMoon - welcome to the forum.

The Lehigh does get too warm to target trout during the summer in the Gap. When the water temps reach 70 degrees, it's best to target warmwater species. Good news is that you're surrounded by some trout waters that NEVER get too warm to target trout.

A stream thermometer is cheap - around $10. A worthwhile investment, for sure.

Feel free to PM me for more info - I'd be happy to help you out.

Hey there CrowMoon,

I am also a frequent reader of the site, and a very new account member. I have never posted before so I figured this would be a good time to introduce myself as well. It's nice to know that I am not the only one out there on the struggle bus.

I can't really offer any sound advice because I am still figuring out what I am doing in the water. I should take your advice about attending a casting lesson, because so far in my aggravating year of experimental fly fishing, I've spent 50% of my time on the water replacing flies to my dwindling tippet that I whip off with my cast within 2 minutes. Speaking of which, I should also probably attend a knot tying class too (I have a lot of work to do). But when I do manage to keep a fly on the line, I tend to catch about 97 fallfish and a rare smallmouth bass throughout the entire year. I have only ever managed to bring 1 brown trout from the Yellow Breeches to hand, and that is my trout total to-date, and I have tried most streams around South Central PA.. Clarks, Swatty, Breeches, Donegal, Conoy etc.. maybe I need to properly learn how to present flies or locate spots where trout may be in a stream instead of just hopping in anywhere with no rhyme or reason.

I've been a sponge the past few months soaking up all the information and advice that I get from this site, which hosts such an awesome community for us PA folk. I'm hoping to get on the water again soon and implementing pointers and guidance from all the forums. By the way, everyone's fly tying is on point and the stream reports are a huge help for scouting new fishing areas.

Welcome Crow and Lunker. Take H.A. up on his offer.

GenCon

How dare you waltz on in and steal my title of the worst fly fishermen ever. Welcome to the party

I'm still wading in Field & Stream $60 waders and Cabelas $100 wading boots, rubber with cleats. I did the jig once on the Savage but my arse never touched the water! I bet the birds had a good laugh.

Thanks everyone for all the advice. sounds like a i made a mistake never researching my waders, so i will put that on my list.

Fly fishing has been one of the most intriguing things i've ever done. I've been tying flies for about 2 years now, fished them with spin rod and a slip bobber. (by the way, that works really well), but for all the times ive fly fished and been snagged in trees, and knotted my leader beyond hope, and spent 4 hours without a nibble, it only makes me what get out and fly fish more. It's quite the addiction.

Still getting the wife to understand why everytime i buy that "last thing i need", i find 2 more things I really "need".

Thanks again everyone, this is a really great forum, hopefully oen day i can have some good input for someone.

Lunker,

welcome from the struggle bus. One thing i can tell you that really helped me with knots is to start with a larger rope, i bought that cheap washline stuff and start practicing knots, then twine, then 25lb line and so on. It helped me visualize how the knot will end up looking and understand what part each wrap plays in the knot.

on the water in the middle of fishing, i fall back on loop to loop connections, and clinch, improved clinch and Palomer knots.

blood knots on tippet in the middle of water is still a struggle.

and never, never forget to lubricate the knot before pulling it tight. It's a must especially with some of the weaker knots like improved clinch. I think it was someone on here that recommended unscented, unflavored chapstick. That really does work quite well.

The davy knot is another good one, in my opinion at least. But dont' take my opinion as any kind of authority...

Welcome aboard. GG

Welcome, y'all.

Lunker, is the issue in your knot or in your casting? It sounds as though you're not pausing on your backcast. Causing a timing issue which brings the line forward without it fully unrolling behind you. This causes the line to crack like a whip thus cutting the tippet.

Brookie,

Thanks for your input, because I have tied some honkin' knots in the past and the tippet always breaks above it. I have never learned the right way to cast.. I read somewhere to basically keep your wrist straight and your elbow locked in a certain angle.. I just wanted to get out there on the water and get at it, and after doing that it further solidified an argument for properly learning casting before trying anything on the water. I will definitely try paying attention more to my backcast and see if it helps!

Two pieces of advice for the newbies. I am a hack caster, so take that particular advice with a grain of salt, but I am teaching my son, so through that I am learning the most important things.

1) To me the most important things in beginner casting are a positive stop in the back cast and the patoience to let the line mostly unfold in the backcast.

2) The surgeons knot was the most important knot I ever learned to help me spend more time fishing and less time fishing with a wrong leader length or siting on the bank tying knots. I can tie a blood knot, but I rarely do anymore (it is a bit better if tying together two pieces which vary more in diameter).

Best of success to all those just getting started. Have fun out there and go fish with somebody who has experience. I spent too many years trying to learn independently!

+1 on the surgeon's knot suggestion, if you're just learning to tie knots it is quick and easy. The surgeon's paired with the improved clinch should handle pretty much all of your knot tying duties.

Back