handling trout; Big fish vs. lil' fish

bigslackwater

bigslackwater

I like taking pictures of all the fish I catch. I've missed a few, and most have been smaller trout. From my limited experience with trout fishing, I've noticed that big trout seem to be easier to handle once netted. I can usually take a good shot if I'm quick enough and they seem to give in once caught. Smaller trout seem to go nuts and flop like crazy. Sometimes I have a hard time getting them to settle down so I can remove the hook. Other times the hook falls out and they escape from my net before I get a chance to get a pic. Is there really a difference in activity level, or is it that bigger fish take longer to bring in and therefore they are worn out? I rarely play the fish to exhaustion. I only take a little extra time when I think there is a a chance of my tippet snapping. Another thought is that it's the difference between brookies, rainbows and browns...since most of my smaller fish have been brookies. Thoughts?

I don't carry a net. But I find it easy to photograph little fish, harder for big ones. I suppose I can't improve my weakness without carrying a net, but I can help you out with yours.

Forget the net on the little guys, like native brookies. It just takes more time and isn't needed. Grab the leader. Slide your hand down the line to the fly. Usually you can just grab the hook shank then, and that gives you the leverage to control them as you wish. They flop and try to run, but just hold the hook tight, they ain't goin nowhwere.

Sometimes I just turn em sideways in the water, wait for them to calm down, snap the pick, then with twist of the hook you just let em go. Sometimes I do the same, but before taking the picture I slide them up into my hand to lift them out of the water briefly for the pic.

Either way, once you turn them sideways, they generally flop once or twice then calm down.

Back