fly line to leader

E

edinfly

So, the fly line loop gets abused and you cut it back.

What's the best way to go: a. attach the leader with a nail knot, b. tie a perfection loop to the fly line and use a pre-looped leader, or c. glue one of those loops to the end of the fly line?

Thanks for any insight.

I build my own leaders and use a nail knot to attach them to the flyline.

I either A. tie on my leader with a nail knot, or B. tie on a short(maybe 5in or so) piece of mono with a nail knot then tie a perfection loop to the end of that and use a loop to loop connection to put on the leader.

You don't want to tie a perfection in the flyline, it's too bulky and will hang up in your guides. The other solutions are the way to go, either nail knot leader to flyline or nail knot mono -> perfection loop in mono -> loop to loop connection. Actually I would do the direct nail knot and then tie a perfection in the butt of that original leader when the time comes to retire that original leader.

As the others have said except I use a needle knot instead of a standard nail knot.

I like the mono loop connector system. Nail knot the heavy mono to the fly line (a dab of Zap-a-Gap really makes this knot extra durable). Tie a perfection loop on the end of the connector, I like mine about 6 or 7 inches long. The mono loop connectors are real durable and allow you a quick loop to loop connection for a change of leaders on the stream. I usually put a new mono loop connector on at the beginning of each new season. I feel this system extends my fishing time when I need to make changes on the stream. They can also be used very effectively with a furled leader with tippet ring.

A nice overview of various methods here:
http://eat-sleep-fish.co.uk/content/2012/09/leaders-fly-lines

Thanks for all the suggestions--I'm going to try the nail knot to the short section of mono with the perfection loop. Makes sense to me and I can use pre looped leaders.

streamerguy wrote:
I either A. tie on my leader with a nail knot, or B. tie on a short(maybe 5in or so) piece of mono with a nail knot then tie a perfection loop to the end of that and use a loop to loop connection to put on the leader.

+1, I use this method and use I bright green so it can act as an inline strike indicator.

Back