first time drifting a 'toon

A

AFISHN

I posted on the this forum because I am a rank beginner on floating a pontoon.Despite practicing 4 times fro 2 hours each on a 20 acre lake the past three months,I finally had the opportunity to float a river(Susquehanna).thanks to Krayfish's kind offer and generousity:
Lesson learned:

1)practicing on a lake is a very good idea ,but absolutely does not prepare you in any way for moving water(even slow moving water).the analogy that comes to mind:knowing how to water ski does not make you ready to snow ski!

2)Never drift alone.
Although I read this several times on this forum,I now really understand why,even though we never had even one dangerous or close to dangerous situation on the river.There's jsut too many nasty variables in a drift:punctured tube,broken oar,getting caught in a tree,cramps,etc,etc to name a few

3)It is almost impossible to drift and fish!!(at least for me that true)

4)physical conditioning:although,I'm an active senor and work out hard(cardio and weights) 3-4 times a week,it really pays to be in decent shape.For example:don't depend on the flow to get you to your take out:if the wind is blowing against the current you might have to row.There are many rivers that have sections of slow moving water.So be physically prepared to row.

5)Bring and drink plenty of water.My distinct impression was that being in/on the water "masks" your need for hydration.I had 4 medium sized bottle of Gatoraid and had to bum a bottle of water from Kray at the end of the trip

5)Get reliable and honest intel about the river and the sections you should float for your skill level.e.g after our float Saturday, I was thinking"I don't think I'm not ready to try to float the LR,without some serious"easy" floats under my belt. Krayfish must have been reading my mnd,because about 10 minutes later he confirmed my thinking by remarking that he didn't think I should float the LR.I really appreciated his honesty.

6)Take notes during your learning phase.one example: I didn't bring a rod when I was practicing on the lake,but when I drifted ,I realized that I couldn't find a reliable place on the toon to keep the rod when I needed to row(still need to figure that out).

7)Try out several toons before you buy.I did not and bought a "cheapie" toon. Kray let me try his toon and i realized that I was working 2-3 times as hard rowing in my toon vs his.I'm probably going to upgrade significantly in the future(once I figure out the transportation and weight issues for me).

These are just my first impressions that I'd like to pass along to those contemplating a toon purchase.I would appreciate if forum members add to this list of considerations/safety issues

It was nice to finally meet ya and do some fishing. Unfortunately, we didn't have a banner day. Algae blooms kept visibility down. I put my boat together Friday evening and it was flat when I got up Saturday morning. Luckily, I have my old bladders and quick changed. I've got a leak that I can't get sealed and may have to send it to a professional for repairs. Not having my U shaped pontoon made me realize how much more stable it is when compared to 2 single toons.

Yes, first time on moving water can be an eye opener when pontooning. Over the last 7 years, I've logged 150 to 250 miles in floats every year. Some in very low water, some in a raging torrent, no wind and in high winds.

The first couple of times out, you will probably find it next to impossible to fish, while seated in a moving boat. You get overwhelmed with casting, steering, etc. After some hours on the oars, it gets easier. You begin to look way ahead, position the boat and are able to effectively fish while moving. It also teaches you to read the water depth based on hydrologics you can see. Read it wrong and you're dragging or damaging your boat. To avoid an obstacle, you do it in reverse. Rowing forward to avoid = collision.

Tom got to see how a little current or 3 mph breeze could send you into a bad situation. Hot is hot....on land or in the boat. Always stay hydrated. I suffered headaches and nausea all Sunday from not drinking enough water.

Just because the boat is stuck doesn't mean you can jump out. You may end up in 10' of water. The ability to stand and fish is priceless but not advised for newbies. Hit a rock while standing and you'll be ejected head first. Didn't pack lunch, don't worry. The river will feed you an oar handle and remove most of your teeth at the same time if you fall asleep at wheel.

Oars make a huge difference in performance .....ask Tom. When rowing, you always face forward / downriver. Enter riffs and obstacles face on. Failure to do so will result in getting stuck, damage to boat, injury or death. Seriously. Respect the power of the river, even in water that appears to be slow moving.

Frameless models are great for transport and wade angler looking to go from spot to spot. Framed models are heavy but waaay more stable and let your stand to sight fish. It's your life so skimping or taking it lightly could make it the last mistake you make.

With all the time on the oars, I've become pretty adept at pulling 'fly bys' from a seated position in a moving toon. PhilC has also gotten very handy at it. Being able to stand / anchor on rising fish that could never be reached on foot is priceless.

I just read this morning that Uber and Hilton are forming a partnership of sorts to help get Hilton's guests rides more efficiently.This made me think about one of the requirements when planning a drift:how to get back to the vehicle.Normally there is the requirement for "two cars".

Thus,even though there may be room for two passengers and the the two toons in one vehicle,it is necessary to take two cars for the drift.

Q:has anyone ever used a taxi service or Uber to get back to the drift's starting point?

Back