any advice for a newbie

L

lankyyankee

im just getting started fly fishing and was out last saturday trout fishing. i noticed when i tried to roll cast the front end of my rod came out. any suggestions?

HUH?

You need to explain a little clearer or you just didn't tighten your rod together well enough. If you are indeed really new, I'd skip the roll cast for awhile. You won't need it right away, it definitely wouldn't be the first cast I'd be working on. If you have some of the basics you'd know to tighten you rod together correctly. Why don't you give us some more details?

I was able to roll cast before I could do a proper four part cast.

That said, either the rod is defective, or you didn't tighten it enough. You can also try some wax around the ferrul to help keep it together.

Lanky

The best thing I've found for your problem is, Bees wax. Put some on the male part of your ferrule, you must make sure you wipe off the excess before you put it together, works great, no more problems.

PaulG

Lanky,
Was this your first time fly casting? If so, be aware that when you assemble your rod, some pressure will need to be applied - but not too much - in order to ensure that the rod does not come apart. As a general rule, when I join fly rod parts together (the "male and female" sections are known as "ferrules."), I like to make about a quarter turn of the female section as I push the parts together. The amount of strength or torque required to do this would be roughly equivalent to the amount needed to seal the screw on lid of a plastic water bottle. Also, after lots of casting or a day's fishing, ferrules can loosen a bit. I throw off my tip sections from time to time. After an hour or so of casting it helps to tighten the ferrules a bit.

Paraffin wax (candle wax) lightly applied to the male end of the ferrules will solve the problem of loose fitting sections, and will also solve the problem of sections becoming stuck together. Sage, Winston, Orvis and other rod mfg's recommend this for their rods. I've been doing this for a long time and it works like a charm. Give it a try.

My dad taught me to rub the male end along the side of my nose (outside). This puts just a little bit of grease on the ferrule. You always have it with you. And if for some reason you have no grease on your face, then rub it behind your ear. In my 30 years I can confidently say that I have only had a rod come apart less than a half dozen times.

thank you for the advise i tried the beeswax tip and it worked like a charm. thanks again

Back