Where to Begin?

baitrunner

baitrunner

Can anyone recommend a good website, or book to get started? I have learned to cast and played around a bit on panfish, but know nothing about where to fish, what to fish with, how to identify the hatch to match. . . etc. Additionally, I'm new to Pennsylvania (Allegheny Co.). I have decent gear for a beginner (not your typical wal-mart box special). I have excellent fly tying gear! When I lived in eastern Maryland, i used to make my own lures, and dabbled a bit with flies, but have a long way to go. So I'm looking for a place to start and learn.

Welcome aboard and you are in the right place.

Also:

Newbie Jam

Thanks Stagger - i just found the newbie jam in another post. it's a little over 4 hours from me, but sounds like it may be worth the trip!

Simplified Fly Fishing by Slaymaker is a good starter book. Author is/was from Central PA. After years of fly fishing myself, I still refer back to it at times for a refresher course. Also look into continuing education classes at a local school. I did that and it really helped learn the basics. Ended with a 'field trip' to the Little Lehigh led by the instructor who was a guide.

Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of good videos on youtube. There are so many it can be confusing.

This one was recently recommended on the forum but it's not the best quality.

intro to flycasting with mel krieger

At the end of the video, there are links on other topics.

If you google "fly fishing instruction" or something similar, anything produced by Orvis, Joan Wulff or Lefty Kreh is good.

Having an experienced fly caster watch you casting is best. You can pay for a lesson or get the same for free at the upcoming newbie jam.

Edit: I just found the link for Joan Wulff.

Joan Wulff Teaches the Basics of Fly Casting

That link should lead you to other parts of her full video. I have the dvd. It's very good.

Welcome to the jungle!

Read here, ask questions and heed the advice you get! There are some great anglers in this community and they are great at providing advice to beginners.

Look for on-line resources, such as the Orvis learn to fly-fish section here http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/
If you can make it over to the Newbie Jam, you will be bombarded with information, and have the opportunity to get on-stream instruction from a fine group of people.

Dave

Trout Streams of Pa. by Landis, aka troutbert add in a Delorme Atlas and gazateer of Pa.

Welcome aboard. GG

Back