Where in the creek are the trout

• Thread starter GreenRiverRunner
  • Start date
G

GreenRiverRunner

Today I took a walk down my local creek to scout for some good fishing spots. I guess my question is whether the trout are only in the rapidy like areas. There seemed to be about two of these areas each about 15ft long in the two miles I walked. What about the rest of the water? I saw what I thought were huge carp and a big snapper but not sure if these areas will hold trout. Do trout only hang out in water with rocks and riffles and so forth?

Thanks

Go back in the evening and watch them rise up and eat the bugs from the surface. This will give you an idea. As the water warms up they definitely will look for faster moving/deeper water. Whichever will keep them cooler.

Look for deeper pools, usually above or below the riffly areas your talking about.

If you don't have a good pair of polarized sunglasses, get some. They will help you spot the fish.

Secondly, if the stream is stocked, you should look near obvious easy stocking points like bridges, or areas with a worn path to the stream.

If there is a strong wild population, they are everywhere most likely. Finding the active ones is another story, and depends on an innumerable array of variables. I'd advise quickly covering a lot of water until you get an idea.

The above is sound advice, too.

GreenRiverRunner wrote:
Today I took a walk down my local creek to scout for some good fishing spots. I guess my question is whether the trout are only in the rapidy like areas. There seemed to be about two of these areas each about 15ft long in the two miles I walked. What about the rest of the water? I saw what I thought were huge carp and a big snapper but not sure if these areas will hold trout. Do trout only hang out in water with rocks and riffles and so forth?

Thanks

If you were down on the Wissahickon, most of the slack areas don't hold much, but there are some deeper runs down toward the Valley green end that usually hold fish... Theres structure on the bottom of these areas, so even though its not bubbly on the surface, I've seen fish line up behind the submerged boulders...

BTW, there are carp, and several freakishly large coy that escaped from some ponds....

yeah they took my breath away when I saw them. I know the water makes them look bigger but they musta been two three feet. Lol then my first thought was I wanna try to catch one on my fly rod. Then I saw that big snapper and wondered what I would do mid creek if it came after me.

There are some pretty good books out there on learning to read streams. I would say get a couple of them, I think that reading a stream is the most important part of fishing. Tom Rosenbauers' how to read a trout stream is a good one to start with.

awesome thanks for the book reccommendation!

Back