What do I need to get into fly fishing?

Shimedog

Shimedog

Hello, I just bought myself a fly rod kit from dicks the other day and I am wondering what else I should or need to buy to get started fishing. The reel came lined and ready to go, but I made sure to buy some extra tippet material. Looking for advice on what flies are worth buying, and any other gear you guys would recommend. Thanks.

Definitely check out the beginner forum as well as the "fly fishing getting started" link on the right hand of the homepage. There you will find some very good info on starting up and essential flies to carry. As for other gear, you can be well off without spending hundreds of dollars on gear. Here is some basic items:
1. Nippers/finger nail clippers
2. Split shot
3. Plastic fly box
4. Strike indicators
5. Hemostats
6. Net
7. Floatant
8. Time

That will give you a good start for around 40-50 bucks if that. The beginner forum is your best friend. Good luck

You need knowledge.
You need a mentor.
Check to see if there is an active Trout Unlimited chapter in your area.

Watch a bunch of castiing videos. Then practice, practice, practice. Concentrate on TECHNIQUE. Don't worry about distance. It'll come.

Develop good casting habits now. Don't slip into bad habits that you'll have to work hard to break later. And one more thing... practice, practice, practice. All the gear in the world won't help you if you are a sloppy caster.

Keep in mind it's fishin' not rocket science.

And even if it was rocket science it would just be hot gases flowing at high speed through a converging/diverging nozzle...

Good luck. Don't quit and welcome to the fraternity.

I don't think that you need a mentor, but it sure would help. You mentioned what flies to buy, and since no one has really addressed that yet, I will. I am going to be very budget minded on this and go with the "less is more" approach for learning.

For Dry Flies, I'd buy Elk Hair Caddis and that is all for now. Get some size 14 or 16 and call it good for now. Great attractor pattern that just seems tor bring fish up the surface.

For Nymphs, get some Pheasant Tails or some Hare's ears. Size 14, 16, or 18 would all be good to have. Also, some zebra midges in size 18 and 20 would be good to have.

Add some wooly buggers and I would say that you have enough to learn.

Then, as chumbucket mentioned, get fingernail clippers, hemostats, a fly box, some strike indicators (thingamabobers are popular, but they aren't my preferred indicator) and split shot. Oh, and grab more leaders while you're at it. Some basic 9 foot long 4 x leaders should do you just fine. You said you bought tippet, but if you have a spool of 4x and a spool of 5x you should be good to go.

Oh, and you need a vest, sling pack, or chest pack. I have used them all and have no idea what I like best. I am currently using a sling pack, it's okay. They all have pros and cons.

Oh, and one more thing, if you want you can PM me your address. I'll send you some flies. Might take me a few weeks to get around to it, but I'll mail a few of some different patterns.

Find yourself a bluegill pond. Those little buggers will give you some decent practice while having some nearly guaranteed success to keep you going.

Thanks so much for the advice. Ive been out in my yard practicing my casting as much as possible. Im going to look into picking up the gear you guys mentioned. I will also definitely take you up on that Jfigz, Im in high school and money is not on my side. Thanks again for the advice everyone!

Shimedog wrote:
Thanks so much for the advice. Ive been out in my yard practicing my casting as much as possible.

Thats a great thing to do. I still find myself in the yard just practicing. Set up a hula hoop or something similar and try to cast to that, then try harder items. I once saw a guy who could cast into a shot glass every single time. When yard casting, if you happen to have an old fly clip the hook off and tie it on. I found doing that benefitted me more than just casting a leader.

Just grab an empty altoid can, forceps and a handful of flies. I'd go into the fly shop and say, "I need a few flies for blue gill what do you recommend. You will be fishing for twenty more dollars. As you progress you will learn what to spend money on but for now don't go blowing money on things to get started because you probably won't use what you think you need. You have a lifetime to figure this out but first learn to enjoy the process.

I always found practicing my casting was more enjoyable and productive when I did it at a creek or a pond. In the yard I was bored in minutes. On the water I could practice all day and catch fish.

Plenty of mentors on YouTube and no membership application or yearly fees are needed. Remember the goal is to catch fish and catch fish you will in mere minutes if there are fish where your practicing.

Good luck and enjoy

Other replies are good advice, but there are three other things you need.
1. Patience
2. Curiosity
3. Persistence

I don't know how they could stand my constant badgering for answers and also tolerate some of my inconsiderate and idiotic statements but the folks right here are my primary go-to's for everything. Then in areas where I gain experience I feel confident in branching out on my own, meanwhile keeping the opinions of these forum members as my baseline. For the last year it would have been tough to be a member of any organization or club that meets in person but those times will return.

All good above!

One word from Maxima12

SPIRIT!

when you find it, let me know,

johnfaveoutdoors@gmail.com

Patients with yourself, and time. Understanding that it is the flyline that gets the lure/fly out on to the water and not the lure itself.

Distance around you to cast. Getting line/hooks caught in trees can be frustrating. I don't believe any of us can say "It hasn't happened to me". So the more distance you have around you will help in the learning process.

With the Rod and Reel - make sure that it is butt heavy. If your arm starts getting tired after several casts the reel might not be set up properly. If this is the case you should go to your local Fly shop (not Dicks) and have them reline the reel. Or at least have them check out the setup.

PennypackFlyer wrote:
Patients with yourself, and time. Understanding that it is the flyline that gets the lure/fly out on to the water and not the lure itself.

Distance around you to cast. Getting line/hooks caught in trees can be frustrating. I don't believe any of us can say "It hasn't happened to me". So the more distance you have around you will help in the learning process.

No offense at all, but I completely disagree with the first half of this and totally agree with the second half.

I truly believe that you should push yourself as far as you think you can go and still enjoy it. It’s ok to be hard on yourself until it really starts to happen. Completely immerse yourself learn as much as you can as quickly as you can. Spend as much time on the water as you can, learn to read water, where fish lie.

Casting in my opinion is secondary, DRAG FREE DRIFT IS EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!! You can get WAY closer to the fish than you think if you’re careful in your wading, but if you can’t get a good drift you are screwed and won’t catch fish.

Above all stay focused! The second you lose focus seems like the time they strike.

On the second half of this comment I totally agree don’t put yourself in a position to fail, you’ll become frustrated and want to quit before it gets good.

Put yourself in a position to be decent, then relax and enjoy it. That’s just my two cents.

Drag free drift as mentioned above is HUGE!!

Also, for flies I'd recommend some soft hackle wet flies. Pheasant tail bodies with Partridge feather hackle imitates nothing yet imitates everything.

Sizes 14-12. And use an indicator for those really light hits!!

Good luck!

Having taken new people, the tricky part is waders.

Yes, its summer, you can wet wade. But for 3/4 if the year, its hard to be very successful without waders. They keep you from freezing, its supposed to be fun, not a negative experience. On bigger water they get you out in water, away from those trees and bushes.

You're not there yet and its ok. But waders will be your first "big" purchase, before you get a billion flies to match every hatch, before you decide you want a better rod or reel, etc..

pcray1231 wrote:
Having taken new people, the tricky part is waders.

Yes, its summer, you can wet wade. But for 3/4 if the year, its hard to be very successful without waders. They keep you from freezing, its supposed to be fun, not a negative experience. On bigger water they get you out in water, away from those trees and bushes.

^^^

Well said. I've delayed the purchase in a new set of waders until the weather and water takes a dive. I have waders that are practically a wetsuit which I can deal with during the warm months. I have a bad history with buying waders

am l wrong. these guys been watching the take channel! The give channel starts here!

Secret is----start small, cheap and build. i have been teaching it for 50 years. How do you know, 1 you like it, 2, you will do it, 3, you stick!

Everyone wants some--- life demands it----but frankly, not many stick!

last i read about 14% fly fish. And it does not happen till your almost 30!

Lets face it, look around, spend time going out, look for women, river lots, campfires, good times, jobs, new car, 1st car, 1st job, new job, get started, more bills, new birth, just left, get started, fired, quit, and so on.

You must beat all this, before you become a fisherman! All the above, impair, the goal! Need time, more time, less time, no time, hear it always!

Structure, is the key! Some time, an enjoyable time, not scrambled up!

Right time----------------is the whole ball of wax! You will know the right time, it clicks! Go and do it! Like a smooth smoke, chokes many times and a day will come, when the smoke has that perfect effect. Cool breeze running through your hair, smooth smoke, a whisper, a nod, a stroke, a dream, a beer, a fire and a whole lot of love!

It is your time!

Maxima12

#1 - Curiosity!

About the environs where trout and other fish eat, sleep and otherwise amuse themselves throughout the year. Especially - their food sources which change day-to-day, hour-to-hour. Without this knowledge you may find yourself simply casting a fly someone wrote about, and hoping for the best.

Spend time researching the streams you feel you’re most likely to spend your time fishing. Learn the aquatic insects, baitfish, etc. that live there. Toss in some terrestrial insects and you’ll be ready to match the foods your local trout/fish are most likely to recognize.

This knowledge, along with some simple fly fishing equipment, will bring success.

Jeff

Back