Trout Recipes?

T

Talon2DSO

Is trout fishing here in PA all catch and release or can you bring your catch home to eat?

You can harvest where regs allow in season.

However, most people here practice C&R, especially on wild fish. Like anything else, it is a finite resource and active managment is required to insure that a viable, and healthy, amount remains available for high quality fisheries.

But the stockers? Vacuum them out of the stream and eat 'em up.

Talon2DSO wrote:
Is trout fishing here in PA all catch and release or can you bring your catch home to eat?

It depends.....
For the most part, trout fishing in PA is catch and release for the next two to four weeks. There are very few exceptions. Rules and regulations for trout fishing can be viewed on the Fish & Boat Commission website at:
www.fish.state.pa.us

I love trout but I fish mostly wild only trout streams and the trout have to do the stocking. so I go to pay trout ponds when I want some to eat. I used to keep some in the begining of the season on stocked streams. The golden trout I would keep anytime, they would draw to mutch attension to my fishing holes.

Geting back to the subject of trout recipes, I useualy just put a little canola oil in my iron frying pan roll the trout in flour, put salt and pepper on it and fry it. It goes good with fried potatoes and onions. I always wanted to try Trout Almondine, but never got around to makeing it. If you punch it in you'll find a lot of sites with a recipe.

Butter and (insert favorite herb here) is all you really need. Maybe a little white wine. I like Tarragon or Dill. "Lemon Herb" seasoning from McCormick is good to keep in a camping kit. I don;t find them as tasty as I used to but they are edible if you keep it simple.

If you like Trout, they're kinda hard to mess up. They're a fairly mild, semi-flaky fish, so just keep it simple. If you like fried fish, as mentioned earlier, just a little flour, maybe some cornmeal, fried in a little butter/oil is great. If you like something baked, Trout in a pouch (En Papillote), is a very simple French classic that is delicious and elegant. Use this recipe, but modify it for Trout by reducing the cook time to 10-12 minutes.

I agree with what's said. Bring some aluminum foil and throw in some butter and seasoning and slap it right on the campfire. Best way to eat them in my opinion.

Once "opening day" rolls around, there will be plenty of opportunities in your local waters to catch and keep some stockies.

No trout ever spawned in a skillet.....FACT!

Trout that don't/won't spawn belong in a skillet.......eventually. Let me play with them a while first.

Thanks for the responses. Back home, if you catch it, and it measures within regs, you can eat it. Then again, I've only fished salt water down in the Gulf.

Lots of fishing rules up here!

Just about all ( more like all of them ) the people that fish bait will keep the fish so it doesn't matter as mutch if you take them from the regular fishing area on a stocked stream.

Back