Thanks from a Newbie

Weaves

Weaves

...Just wanted to say thanks for everyone who has taken the time to mentor newbies like me. I've read the forum more than I've posted but I've really benefited from all the advice from a lot of skilled people on every subject from equipment to fly fishing techniques. I've finished my first year of fishing using only a fly rod. I've caught bluegills, crappie, perch, smallmouth and largemouth bass and even pickerel this year.

I've fly fished constantly since last January for everything I could. I held off on trout fishing until my casting got better and my knowledge of flies improved. I'm happy to say that I've caught my first trout on a fly rod. I caught 3 Rainbows on Black Friday and 7 more on Christmas Eve. Caught them on Copper Johns, Pheasant tails, and Zebra midges.

Every bit of this year that I fished with a fly rod has been the most peaceful and relaxing time of my life. To everyone who answered all those questions from beginners, or posted advice to shorten the learning curve for us all, I salute you all. I hope you all have a safe and Happy New Year and thanks for everything. I hope to make one of the PA Fly Fish Events this year.

Weaves

Same back at you. One of the reasons we are all here is to share knowledge, mentor and to make lifelong fly fishing friends. I wished I had known about this forum a long time ago. However I being so stubborn I may not have taken anyones advice. Somethings you just have to learn the hard way. It maybe from living in a right hand world, as I have had to adjust to alot of right handed products. Yup, I'm a lefty.

Same to you. I learned that just because you are an experienced flyfisher does not mean that you will not learn new things from beginners! Hey, they may know something you do not. I see it as a two way street. Exchanging info and experiences is a great thing. Good luck to ALL the new flyfishers.

Great post, we sometime forget about our own roots as to how we got started FFing, it good to hear stories like yours. Hope next year is even better.

Good work and welcome aboard. Newbie events happen in the coming months so consider joining us!

Foxgap239 wrote:
Good work and welcome aboard. Newbie events happen in the coming months so consider joining us!

Welcome to the jungle.

In my experience, this forum consists of some of the nicest people you will ever meet.

One of the first events coming up might just be the "Fish With Foxgap While Breaking Icicles Off Your Nose Invitational" aka the FWFWBIOYNI Jam.

One of the things that I have learned as an angler is that Bass do remember and what worked great one year does not guarentee that it will work again the following year. That is why there are so many lures on the market. Stocked Trout are more consistant as I have experienced -And i have caught wild browns with the same setup.
All fishing is a challenge and if we look at it as a puzzle to figure out, it becomes more of an adventure than a problem solving equation. At noximixon people say it is a difficult lake to fish. I look at it as a challenge and work on figuring out what the fish want. I am almost guarenteed to catch fish.

At Pennypack Park I have been pointed out as to someone who will tell you what the fish are targeting. It is a great feeling when strangers refer strangers to you. And I do not mind assisting a fellow fisherman. If your in the Philadelphia area - look me up. 267-338-8753

It's a great board. Last spring a member met me at the Little Lehigh to give me a free 45 min personal fly casting lesson. That was after getting lots of free advice at the newbie jam.

I can't wait for some of the upcoming events. I want to make as many of them as I can. Thanks for everyone's response. It's great that there are so many folks willing to help guys like me. I get so much enjoyment out of fly fishing that it's hard to explain to anyone who hasn't done it.

The original meet-up was the Annual Spring Jamboree. Attending was the greatest boost to my enjoyment of this board and has always been a good time. The spawned "mini-Jams," which have become almost as popular should have the same effect. Ultimately, there is a bridge to cross in being part of a messageboard community and realizing that all those human beings behind the keyboard are, well, human beings. I look forward every year, over the last few in particular, to meeting so many new human beings.

WARNING:
Sometimes to many of the same/similar type of events will take away the excitement and importance from the main ones.

Back