Steelhead Fishing

G

GoneFission

This will be my first full year Steelie fishing. My question to you all is what kind of leader do I use and how long, also what tippet do you use?

That would depend upon what you are casting. A standard extruded leader ending in 2X of 7 feet would be a good start, you can add 3X or more rarely 4X to the end if you wish. Some folks will just tie on a level leader/tippet of between 7-9 feet if they are throwing weight.

on a 10' 7wt rod i use a braided furled leader 6' or 7' long with 3' of 2x or 3x rio fluorocarbon tippet. I get the leaders from feather craft. love the leaders and use them on all my rods. for me i usually like a leader about the length of the rod.

Thank you very much for the expert input. I'm going to try both out.

Don't mistake my input for expert. But it is what has worked for me and what I have seen or heard by others.

I really like to tie hand tapered leaders 6ft to a tippet ring or micro swivel. Than usually for nymphing I like 3-4ft 5X orvis mirage. Also really like plain ole seaguar 100% in 4 and 6 pound test. If swinging streamers i use 10 pound mono for i don't find it to make much difference. Always has worked very good for me. BTW Tippet rings/ micro swivels rule cause when you break off no blood knots!

Back