Sinking Dry Fly

arbor1

arbor1

I finally got out today and I was using a dry fly, but i noticed that the fly did not want to stay on the surface, it just wanted to sink. The fly I was using was a thorax sulpher. Any advise would be great!

Sinking right away or after some time? Perhaps too much drag? Do you use a floatant?

Sinks within a couple of seconds and no floatant. Should I be using this?

It helps...but a new fly should float pretty well for at least a few casts.

I'll try and get out again tomorrow and see if I am using too much drag and maybe a different fly choice. Everything I'm doing right now is a learning experience and I'm up for any insight.

This may help...

http://www.stillwaterflyfish.com/blog/how-do-i-make-flies-float-for-fly-fishing/

Thorax flies are a low profile pattern so it rides low in the water. I believe it originated in SC PA to fool the weary Letort and Big Spring fish in flat limestone springs water... if you were fishing it in faster water you may want to switch to another pattern. The other thing I'd try is to really spritz it good with floatant and let it dry before using.

Grab some gink, unless you're using CDC. Follow the directions on the package. I don't fish non-cdc flies without floatant.

Try some Frog Butt floatant you'll never use Gink again...
It will even put an airbubble on a nymph...

I'm cheap. I spent $12 for a tub of Alboene at the CVS. I now have enough floatant that works, feels, and is virtually indistingushable from Gink (hmmm....).

FWIW, Xink appears to be Kodak PhotoFlo.

Anyways, hairwing flies float like a cork, and when they start to get completely saturated, put a dollop of Gink, Dap, or Alboene between your fingers, rub it together to get it liquidy and then work it into the dubbing and hair of the fly. If you use too much, it just turns into a nasty mess.

bingsbaits wrote:
Try some Frog Butt floatant you'll never use Gink again...
It will even put an airbubble on a nymph...

I use it for reviving flies, but prefer to pre-treat them with gink when I tie them on. Makes for a longer floating fly.

I've heard about the nymph bubble. I'm going to have to give it a try.

tomgamber wrote:
This may help...

http://www.stillwaterflyfish.com/blog/how-do-i-make-flies-float-for-fly-fishing/

Good site, that should help him alot!

I never like frog fanny but I see alot of guys do. I use the Orvis wet, and dry stuff, maybe I should try it again!

PaulG

Just so you don't get confused, and you probably are aware of this but, it's not you using too much drag in as far as your reel setting, it's letting the line in the water move the fly faster than the current it's being fished in. I just wanted to make sure you weren't getting the two mixed up. That, and I'm just not sure how much of a rookie you are at this. No insult intended to you knowledge. As stated previously try some floatant. This will probably fix the problem. Good luck and try not to make too much of a science project outta fly fishing. At least in the beginning... Have fun.

Thank you all for your help and especially the link to the other site. I will look into the floatant and try a few different things and see if it works. Right now I'm just working on the basics and if I land some fish its a bonus for now.

Arbor,
I'll second what the previous posters have suggested with floatant. Everybody has their favorite brand but, whatever you select, I recommend you always use floatant on dry flies made of fur and feathers.
Also, when fishing these sorts of dry flies, it helps to dry the fly between casts by "false casting." If you're not familiar with this, this is when you make multiple back and forth casts without letting your fly touch the water. By making several fairly strong false casts you'll whip the water out of the fly and dry it...making for a fly that floats much better. Even with floatant, a fly that's water logged or junked up with fish slime won't float. Try some false casting.
Good luck your next time out. Let us know how you made out.

I'll give that a shot.....thank you!!

Back