San Juan worms and egg patterns

T

tmohler

I'm thinking about getting some San Juan Worms and egg flies but don't really know what size or color to get (from Cabelas). So what color and size would work well for them?

Hi tmohler. Welcome to our online community and the Beginner's Forum.

To get started with San Juan Worms (SWJs) and egg flies, I'd purchase a handful of egg flies that are about the size of a pea. This would correspond to a hook size in the range of #14 to #10. Thinking in terms of a pea will make visualizing the fly easier. Get them in different colors but orange and yellow tones are the best.
If the egg flies are cluster shape rather than spherical, you can go a bit larger, maybe about the size of your fingernail. Same colors.

For the SJWs, the standard color is red. Buy a few SJWs in a length of about 1-1.5" in red, pink, and flesh color. I particularly find a hot or bright pink colored SJW to be very effective on stocked trout in the springtime.

You know, I fish the green weenie and other "junk" flies, but I have never had success cathcing anything but fallfish and chubs on eggs and san juan worms. I've heard of others who swear by them though, and sometimes swear by a particular color over another. Most of the egg flies and san juan worms I've ever seen are tied about the same size, around the range that Dave_W was talking about.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

The San Juan works well for stocked rainbows and both wild and stocked brookies, but I dont think ive killed wild browns on them. San Juan worms can also be amazing for sunfish, perch, small bass, bass, etc. I have never really fished egg patterns so I can't comment there.

Have never had much luck with San Juan Worms so I cant help there. However egg patterns are a great pattern for early stocked trout. Especially for stocked rainbows. What Dave_W said is spot on. About the size of a Pea is perfect. My favorite colors would be pink and orange.

I never had much luck with the San Juan worms , but then I have only ever tried them A few times. Now eggs in size 12 or 14 I have had A blast with on early season stock trout. Same with the green weenies. I mostly fish for class A or mountain streams for native brookies , I have had done ok with the egg patterns and green weenies on those streams but still prefer my pheasant tail nymphs for most small streams.

I think the San Juan worm tends to work better in freestone streams in PA where the odd appearance or hot color may attract the fish due to lack of many other food opportunities. I tend to have less faith in them in high quality limestone waters.

The chamois fly (San Juan), pink and earthworm. These are easy to tie and will get you starting to tie flies if that is the goal. I don't fish them much but I always have a few in the box, the little fresh stocked ones like them.

I've never had much luck on SJW. But I use egg flies a fair amount.

- They work on rainbows. Stocked, wild, steelhead, whatever.
- They are pretty much the FIRST choice for freshly stocked rainbows.
-They work less well on brookies, but they do work some.
-They don't work at all on browns, except during specific match the hatch situations. Examples include the March white sucker run, where you can sometimes find pods of suckers dropping eggs with sizable browns hovering behind. Also great lakes tribs when browns follow steelhead in. But it is not a general use, when all else fails type pattern for browns. You should consider it situational only.

As for colors, peach or salmon is probably the best. But carry a range of colors. White, various shades of pink, Orange, and chartreuse. Usually a blood red for muddy water. I change colors a lot. Typically you put an egg on and get hits or catch fish almost immediately, then it fades. Switch colors and you get another flurry of action, and it does. Just keep switching it up.

I'm not a great fly tier, but honestly the glo-bug is the easiest, cheapest, and quickest tie ever. Get the yarn for a dollar or 3 per color. Get some size 12 hooks. Lash yarn to hook, tie off. Stretch yarn, cut, and it springs into shape. Done!

They don't sink real well so make sure you use enough shot. Can also add weight to the hook when tying. Takes longer to tie that way but cuts down the shot needed.

Back