Rod weight selection.

T

TetonTrout

How does one select the best rod and therefore line weight to use for different setups? I have been using a 4 WT WFF with 9' 4x 5x for dry flies and light nymphing.

I have been using a heavier rod for beaded woolly buggers, clousers and other streamers. I'm not sure which rod to use for the various presentations.

I do this because it seems using my 4 Wt with heavier flies get really sloppy (leader / tippet tangles, etc). I seem to have better luck using a heaver set up w/ heavier fly set ups.

If anyone has some guidance, it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

TetonTrout wrote:
How does one select the best rod and therefore line weight to use for different setups? I have been using a 4 WT WFF with 9' 4x 5x for dry flies and light nymphing.

I have been using a heavier rod for beaded woolly buggers, clousers and other streamers. I'm not sure which rod to use for the various presentations.

I do this because it seems using my 4 Wt with heavier flies get really sloppy (leader / tippet tangles, etc). I seem to have better luck using a heaver set up w/ heavier fly set ups.

Thanks.

A 9' or 8.5' 5wt is the "swiss army knife" of FFing. It can handle just about any type of fishing: nymphing, dries, wets and streamers in medium sized streams to fairly large rivers.

For very small streams a lighter and shorter rod in a 3 or 4 weight is ideal.

The other end of the spectrum, big rivers with larger streamers, a stouter 9' 6 wt may be needed.

But if I were to choose only one rod for all my trout fishing, it would be a 9' 5 wt.

HTH.

To add to what Afishinado already said so well; don't forget to take a look at your leader when chucking heavier flies.

Heavy flies cast MUCH better on shorter stouter leaders regardless of the line weight of the rod.

For the heavier stuff, try a 7 foot leader with a tippet no lighter than 3X but don't be afraid to go with an even heavier tippet like 1X or even 0X.

You will be amazed at the difference it how it casts versus a lighter tippet.

I have a limited selection of rods. I have 8' 6" 5 wgt serves as my trout rod and my second choice warm water rod. I also have a 7' 6" in 5 wgt that serves as my small stream trout rod.
I agree that a 5 wgt is an all around trout rod, but I think a 6 wgt is the real "swiss army knife" of fly rods, because you can cover all bases with it. I've used mine many times for trout fishing. It's my go to warm water rod and I also use it for light salt water fishing. If you're only going to fish for trout the 5 wgt would be the better choice, and you can still use it for warm water.
Can't add anything to the leader selection. If you're buying your flies, think about learning to tie your own. That way you can tailor your flies to match your rod. Wooly Buggers and Clousers don't have to be heavy enough to knock out the fish and with the right materials you can tie a streamer 5-6 inches long that with the proper leader and tippet can be tossed with a 5 wgt. Something else to consider.

Your thinking and what your doing is correct. Use lighter weight rod for smaller lighter flies and heavier weight rods for larger, fluffier or heavy flies. longer lighter leader for small and shorter heavier leader for big and heavy flies. Keep it simple and don't complicate things the way fly fisherman like to. With the differences in what weight a rod actually is as well as the line any talk on this is very subjective to the rod and line combo.

Guys that say they can easily cast a big fly on a 4 weight are either bullshitters, their 4 weight rod and line are more of a 5 weight, their definition of big is smaller than yours or their cast is actually not as fluid as they think.

When I play golf I like to use the next club up so I can take an easier swing and get the same result. Same thing when I fly fish but just like in golf, there is this sense that working harder for the same result is a sign of a master.

TetonTrout wrote:

Thanks.

You're thinking about it correctly.

Heavier rod and line for heavier flies. Lighter rod and line for lighter flies. It's pretty straightforward.

Here's a tip for fishing streamers: Never go lighter than 3x for tippet.

The reason is that trout will often break 4x when they hit a streamer. But 3x holds up, even when a big trout hits hard.

I've gone full circle in my thinking.
Started with a 6 weight.
Moved toward slighter and lighter rods as I fished smaller streams or focused on small flies.
Now I'm back to a 6 weight as I'm throwing more streamers.
I can still change over to a smaller, lighter leader and cast drys or nymphs.

Thanks.

I like the golf analogy. I used to golf but had elbow surgery and don't golf much anymore but I do think it relates.

I'm just getting started w/ FF so i'm still learning the subtleties. I think i'm trying to do much. it seems most Fly fishermen use one or two techniques. I think i'm still learning what will work for me.

None the less thanks again for the insight.

IMO a first time rod buyer should purchase a rod length and line weight that they will use or could use 90 percent of the time. Then start filling in the holes for the different waters you fish.

TetonTrout wrote:
Thanks.

I like the golf analogy. I used to golf but had elbow surgery and don't golf much anymore but I do think it relates.

I'm just getting started w/ FF so i'm still learning the subtleties. I think i'm trying to do much. it seems most Fly fishermen use one or two techniques. I think i'm still learning what will work for me.

At least in golf you get to take a bag full of weapons into the field. :-D :-D

"At least in golf you get to take a bag full of weapons into the field."
Haha, I saw a guy and his kid walking across the bridge in Hillsgrove(Loyalsock creek) with a golf bag that had fishing rods in it last weekend.

TetonTrout wrote:
Thanks.

I disagree with the "one or two technique" thing. What is a technique, anyway? If I could only have one for to cover all of my fishing it would be a 9' 6 weight. With that being said, I rarely use my 6 weight.

For 99% of my trout fishing needs I use a 4 weight. I have rods ranging from 7.5' - 9'. This covers my bases. I employ all techniques that are available to me except euro nymphing/mono rigs. I will still high stick/tightline nymph, but I don't want a mono rig due to being stuck. I want to be able to switch from nymphs, to dries, to streamers, etc in a breeze. Most of my nymphing I employ some time of indicator on short casts and I keep most of all of the fly line and leader off of the water.

Fish a lot. Fish a variety of waters. Get used to adjusting casting, flies, strategies, etc with the same rod and setup to meet different demands. It will make you a good fisheman.

Back