Really Frustrating First Day

docsab

docsab

Well, today I tried fly fishing for the first time. Did my homework- attended a few workshops, read some books, searched the internet, bought all my fly gear. Was so stoked could hardly sleep last PM. Really expected to do well.

Arrived at the stream this AM. Water temp 62. Nothing hatching that I saw. No trout rising, but I know they were there- It is a stocked stream(Neshaminy Creek). First cast caught a sunny! But that was it- last bite of the day. Dealt with snag after snag, several wind knots from Hell. Tying new rigs was hell(guess I need stronger readers). Lost every single nymph I had while spin fisherman were catching fish all around me. The water looked perfect, my casts were ok, just couldn't understand why I wasn't getting hits- think I did everything right. The pinnacle of my day was trying to tie a new tippit on with a blood knot(yea right) while being threatened by some snow geese whose nest I wandered too close too!!

Well, I guess I won't give up, but I can't imagine having any more days like this- I'm doing this for stress relief! I feel better venting, and I imagine everyone experiences a sharp learning curve, but a few more experiences like this and you all will be able to get some nice new equipment on Ebay!

All normal first day stuff, don't be discouraged. The fact that you caught a fish, even a Sunnie, is better than most of us can say. I took home skunks for a solid two months or so. Would go back to the truck, pick up my UL spin rod, and catch fish immediately...frustrating I know.

As with anything the initial learning curve is steep, but once you crest it, there will be a period of time where you improve rapidly for a while, and then level off. By then you'll know what you're doing. You'll have that day when it all "clicks," and then you'll be hooked.

Snags and losing nymphs are normal...if you're doing it right you're gonna lose them from time to time. As your casting stroke improves the wind knots will decrease in frequency and severity. Try to master a double surgeon's knot for on stream tippet repair...easier to tie streamside than a blood knot IMO, and perfectly serviceable for a beginner's knot.

Yep, pretty normal. Don't get discouraged. It gets better, too slowly it seems at first. I actually caught 1, a single trout, my first outing with fly gear. Went back the next day and got 30+ with the spinning rod. I took a few more skunkings with fly gear.

Then it starts getting better. You experience a hatch, and although you may only land 2 or 3, you have hits so at least you think you're on the right track and it starts getting fun. As swattie says, your skill level starts a steady climb then.

It eventually levels out at about the level of success you had with spinning gear. Then SLOWLY gets better. You get to the point where, overall, you probably do better with fly gear. Though it remains situation specific, there are situations where fly gear is FAR better. And there are situations where spinning gear will still outfish fly gear. Although I think the average tilts in favor of fly gear, it's more fun, and it's more versatile.

Versatile meaning that even in the situations where spinning gear wins, you still do ok with fly gear. In situations where fly gear wins, you may not have much prayer with a spinning rod.

Spring Creek is a good example of that. I fished it with live minnies in the winter once and it was pretty ridiculous, fish on every cast, more than 50 landed, the whole bit. I went back in the summer while hatches were going on, not a hit. But I'm confident I can always catch at least a few there just about anytime with the fly rod.

One reason I was attracted to fly fishing was the fact that it seemed more cerebral with less "luck" than spinning. I imagine the difficulties I was having working my flies and detangling while spin fisherman were lounging and catching fish on rods that sat in v-shaped branches on the bank burned me up a little. I had overly optimistic visions of success which were unrealistic. :lol:

doc .. ur in Bucks, u fished the Nesimany ur 1st time, and ur frustrated, etc, etc

Went Out For the First time

When do you want to meet up? LOL

Where were u in the Nesimany?

Also, stick around this site .. you won't find a nicer group of guys to help answer any question you may have. If ur lucky enough and have the time ... you can get some on the water, 'hang-over' tips from some guy named Fox something or another :)

+1 the Neshaminy,

Maybe we can have a Stagger_Jam at Playwicky or Tyler some weekend soon.

Didn't realize they stocked it...good warm water fishing in the summer though...

Docsab, The Neshaminy is a nice place. I grew fishing all along that creek: from the Neshaminy Falls all the way up past Tyler state park off of mill road.
The mill road location is really nice.
If you clink on this link select Bucks for the county and go to the Neshaminy section 2 and click the lower limit coords, you will see exactly where Im talking about.
The link
Now, as far as spin fishers, Its not good to have animosity. You chose to Fly fish for a reason. For me it was the skill required to be perficient at it. Fly fishing is no joke and its very satisfying when it all comes together.

I am a novice at best. I was out last saturday for hours fighting myself, windknots, and rod snags. Each time I took a breath, untangled, regrouped, and got back to basics. I stoped trying to cast a mile and focused on short accurate roll casts. I then caught my first rainbow this season and BAM I felt like a pro. Needless to say, the next day all my bad habits and lack of skill returned.

One thing that has been helping me is taking stock off my cast and where i feel I need improvement. Same with my approach to different stream conditions. Then I come home read these forums ask questions and watch you tube.

Hey Docsab,

You were out fishing......:)

Frustration is just part of the game. As a neophyte myself, I understand how you feel, but try to enjoy the time on the water.
Sure it's fun to be on fish a lot, but you won't always get to experience that.

Foxgap239 and the Heritage Angler are setting up a session on the Little Lehigh May 5th. I strongly suggest attending that for some solid help fishing. (If these guys can get me on fish, they can help anybody!) You'll also meet a great bunch of anglers that frequent this forum.

Hang in there.

Dave

Dont feel bad, I got skunked on the neshaminy too. I think the stockies were looking for corn and power bait! Im also curious which section you tried? I'm close by. Im not an expert but can offer pointers on catching fish if you want... Let me know

docsab,

Through over a decade of being a hardcore spin fishermen, and now more than a decade more of being a fly fishermen, I have still never once witnessed a spin fishermen not at least holding the rod. At least not when fishing for trout (river for catfish is something different).

docsab wrote:
but a few more experiences like this and you all will be able to get some nice new equipment on Ebay!

What have you got? :)

Just kidding. Take advantages of the offers for help at the newbie jams, people who offer to mentor you etc.

It's like anything else. You CAN learn it completely on your own. But it goes MUCH better with some instruction, advice, etc.

Think of great musicians. A few are self taught. But most great musicians had great teachers.

+1 the Neshaminy, Maybe we can have a Stagger_Jam at Playwicky or Tyler some weekend soon.

Didn't realize they stocked it...good warm water fishing in the summer though...
I'm all in ... best thing I can teach you guys is watch me if you want to know what not to do :)

Looks like we have a decent amt of locals so I would be into putting something together whether it be a large group or small. I'm not sure how the weather will hold up but I may hit the Neshaminy tomorrow, either in the AM or PM, and depending on what happens with the rain.

Also going to try to play hookey this week for a few hours.

Lost every single nymph I had while spin fisherman were catching fish all around me.

Not long from now till those fish learn the ways of the bait chucker and the tables will turn.

"Lost every roostertail and chunk a 'par bait I had while this lone flyfisherman was catching trout all around me". :)

I'm sure that you have watched a lot of videos, but I just want to suggest a three video series that really helped me. If you go to you tube there are fly casting videos by tightlines fly fishing. From time to time I still watch them just as a refresher on proper casting.

The other thing I would suggest is to start out using wolly buggers instead of nymphs. They won't drag the bottom as much, but you'll catch a lot of fish. I did this all last year and had a lot of fun. This way I didn't have to put so much focus on what I was using and when. I could concentrate on the cast instead.

keep your head up, there are good and bad days. you will figure it out. my buddy and i have been fly fishing for many years and have always been beaten by our hills brothers (bait fisherman) buddies. the last 2 years we have either been right in the running or beating them. watch the guy that is catching em on the fly and talk to him, most of us would be happy to share "secrets". good luck.

Hey :) You caught a sunny :)
I only went out a few times near me. Most I got was a nice rainbow to hit my lure right in front of me and not take the hook.
(have been fishing with lures lately)
Not frustrated nor discuraged, just changing up the plan of attack

Feeling much better from all the support you guys are throwing out. Stagger- if you and some others are interested in fishing with me- I'm in- maybe we can learn by each others mistakes- and I'll show you the goose nest to avoid! Usually Fridays to Sunday I can get out.

Rickb326- what size wooly bugger would you suggest for a small stream?

Pauly- Great link- looks like they are stocking the Neshaminy this week.

I'm going to keep at it- I'm going to stick with nymphing for now. I think maybe my indicator-thingamabobber- was maybe putting some drag on my nymphs- think I'll switch to some amnesia as an indicator. Just keep switching up till something works and trying to learn from all you guys.

docsab wrote:

I'm going to keep at it- I'm going to stick with nymphing for now. I think maybe my indicator-thingamabobber- was maybe putting some drag on my nymphs- think I'll switch to some amnesia as an indicator. Just keep switching up till something works and trying to learn from all you guys.

That's the attitude! We're smarter than the fish, aren't we? Aren't we? Guys - some support here? :)

@ docsab - seems we have a decent amt of Bucks county fishers so we should try to organize a meetup or 2.

Per frustration .. I posted todays adventure in my Went Out For the First time thread (this was my 3rd time).

Frustration set in today

Back