Proper fly and presentation.

M

meck1776

Hello, haven't fly fished for nearly 20 years but I took it up again. Yesterday afternoon, from 5 to 7:30 PM I was fishing at Mudd Run. Trout were jumping after insects but I couldn't find a fly in my case that enticed them to strike. Around 7, these little flying insects took off and the trout went nuts leaping out of the stream. So what were they, and what type fly should I have used? Also, what is the technique to keep your fly line from being dragged too fast downstream so that it doesn't "drown" the fly. Thanks

Meck,
Welcome to our online community and the Beginner's Forum.

What you describe is classic fly fishing and presents some challenges even seasoned fly fishermen (FFers) can struggle to adapt to (which is why FFing is so much fun and challenging).

Anyway, what you saw is known as a "hatch" - that is to say, the emergence of aquatic insects and the feeding response of the fish. This is what you want to see when you're fishing! Most of the time, this doesn't happen. The insects could have been a variety of species, but probably some type of mayfly or caddisfly. If you can catch one next time you're out an upload a pic, we can probably identify it for you. You want to get a good look at the bug as this will indicate what fly to use.

To avoid "drag" (this is what you describe with the current) you may wish to direct you casts upstream and allow the line and fly to drift back to you. There are more advanced methods, but an upstream presentation will be a good start.

Enjoy our site.
Best,
DaveW

When trying to identify the bug, you can sometimes see them flying around in the air, or floating on the water past you.

When I see a hatch coming on, I won't wet a line until I know what the bug is.

You described the activity of the fish as "jumping." This would mean something different if we were sure they were coming completely out of the water, rather than simply breaking the surface with their nose or head. If they were literally taking bugs out of the air above the surface, you should suspect a spinner (egg laying adults about to die) or, craneflies or emerging caddis flies. As noted, observe the rise, catch the bug and do your best to imitate it.

I looked up a hatch chart for Mud Run and found one for Hickory Run and Mud Run. Since OP has Jim Thorpe listed as his location I think this is the same one. For June it has tan caddis and terrestrials. Between that and what Jack is saying I'd try an elk hair caddis. The chart says size 16.

Is that hatch chart available online?

meck1776 wrote:
Is that hatch chart available online?

Here is the one I referred to.

http://www.flyfishingconnection.com/hickmudrun.html

Back