Nymphing rod - beginner

B

Brianp

I have been tying nymphs all winter and yesterday was the PA opener. I was all pumped and before I get to the stream I snapped the tip of my St Croix rod. To say I was bummed was an understatement. So I’m looking for some advice on a new rod to use. The rod I had was 8’ 6”. So I’m seeking I formation on a good nymphing rod. I know budget is important but I would like to stay between $200 and $250 if possible. Thank for the help everyone.

Check out the Orvis Clearwater rods and the Cabela's Vector rods. Both have good reviews. I assume your rod will be used for purposes other than nymphing? Whatever rod you choose, cast it first before making a decision. TCO fly shop will let you test cast rods and Cabela's in Hamburg will also let you test cast their rods.

Just got a 10' 3-wt Orvis Clearwater. I love it for nymphing and I even threw some dries with it last weekend. The beauty of the rod is that the normal 8-10 inch stockies are fun but it also had enough a$$ to land a 20+ inch brown today.

If you go to one of the Orvis stores and attend the Flyfishing 101 course you can get 20% off the rod as well.

I recommend buying a 9 ft 5 wt.

Good for nymphing, wet flies, streamers, dry flies, and whatever else you got.

troutbert wrote:
I recommend buying a 9 ft 5 wt.

Good for nymphing, wet flies, streamers, dry flies, and whatever else you got.

+1

A 9’ 5 wt is a great all around rod for a beginning rod that can effectively be used for many flyfishing techniques.

How much of the tip did you snap off? I snapped off the tip of my Renegade twice. I bought the Fly rod tip repair package and it is still very much usable.

There are a multitude of rods available these days that fit into the $ bracket. I would recommend as well the Orvis brand - seeings that I have around 8 of their flyrod outfits.

Although it's not nymphing-specific, the 9' 5 WT Fenwick Aetos did very well in one of those "5 WT rod shootouts". It's about $190 so it's a great value. IDK about the warrantee, though.

You can't go wrong with a 9' 5WT Orvis or St. Croix Rod. Both have great values levels, too. Both offer good warranties in case you snap another rod.

None of the above rods will limit you in 98% of trout fishing situations.

Back