Nymphing IRL

jeremymcon

jeremymcon

I've really been working on nymphing for the past year or so, and sometimes I don't feel like I'm making much progress. I even read "Dynamic Nymphing," and don't feel like I gained much from it.

Most of my nymphing is indicator nymphing, done with a thingamabobber or a stick-on indicator (for more stealth). I have also tried the dry-dropper rig and had some success with it, but use it less frequently because it's a pain to rig up, and tends to get tangled.

I am also aware of techniques like czech nymphing, and high stick nymphing, the goal of which is to maintain a direct connection between the nymph and the rod. I haven't had success with these techniques, because I find it difficult to get close enough to fish to use them.

I have also tried simply casting a lightly weighted nymph as i would a dry fly and watching for my line to twitch. I've caught sunnies in a stream doing this, but never trout.

I don't really know any other fly fisherman, so haven't been able to watch someone fish a nymph. I just go by what people tell me, or what I see online.

So what I'd really like to know is: What techniques are most successful nymph fishermen using? Does anyone really Czech nymph on a regular basis? Is it even possible to catch trout at a distance without using an indicator?

I live in Statecollege, if you wish we can get out and do some fishing. It's easier than it seems to get that close and catch fish, just a few key things to know and do. Drop me a pm if you want.

Speaking of State College, nymphing seems to be the go-to method for Spring Creek. I pick up a few there on dries, but I know I'd be more successful if I'd go underwater.

Take lv2nymph up on his invite. He can help you I am sure.

Jeremy,

I totally agree with gfoledc. That is a great offer and opportunity for you to fish with lv2nymph. I'm sure you would take a lot away from spending some time with him on the stream. He is a great guy and a real solid nymph fisherman. Good luck!

lv2nymph wrote:
I live in Statecollege, if you wish we can get out and do some fishing. It's easier than it seems to get that close and catch fish, just a few key things to know and do. Drop me a pm if you want.

Oh right! You offered to show me a couple spots once before. I kind of forgot. Lol. I'll definitely have to look at my schedule and send you a PM.

You can fish at distance without an indicator if you fish directly upstream and retrieve the line quickly enough to keep it realatively taught. However, an indicator works just as good if not better at distance. Czech nymphing works best in deeper runs and pools where you can get pretty close. If the water is clear and the fish will spook, you will need to be stealthy and sight nymph to th w/out an indicator looking for the fish to open its mouth or make a quick motion towards your nymph.

Being new to nymphing as well, I have completely done away with using an indicator (bobber). I'm finding much better results concentrating on tight lines and presentation. The indicator gave me a false sense of all-is-right with my presentation - when in fact it wasn't. Additionally your leader doesn't get twisted, kinked, etc.

I feel the same as firefox. I had some level of success with indicators (Thingyamebobbers) but did much better without the indicators high sticking with a tight line. I always make sure I am at or on the bottom. My philosophy is if I don't get snagged on the bottom, I'm not deep enough.

Don

One day an indicator works great and the next it does not. It is all part of the science or art of fly fishing. I like to use a dry fly as an indicator...this gives the fish two choices (top/bottom) and the dry fly is less to spook when it hits the water.
One of the most important things in nymphing is getting the nymph to tick bottom or strike zone. When water is really deep....i'm less apt to use an indicator because of the difficulty of casting with 5 to 6 + feet of line between indicator and nymph.
With nymphing without indicator you rely on feel mostly by keeping your line fairly taunt. Waiting to see your line stop or feel the tug.. many times by the time you set the hook the fish has already spit the nymph out.

Make sure there are no knots between indicator and nymph. For me the strike rate is much poorer when I have Wind knots ( or I screwed up) in-between indicator and nymph.

Although some nymphs are good all around...matching the current hatch in that local may lead to more successes.

jeremymcon wrote:

I am also aware of techniques like czech nymphing, and high stick nymphing, the goal of which is to maintain a direct connection between the nymph and the rod. I haven't had success with these techniques, because I find it difficult to get close enough to fish to use them.

Fish that way when the water is up and a little off color and where the water is broken, i.e. in rocky pocket water.

When the water is very low and clear, nymph fishing is tough.

Jeremy, if you feel like you are getting to close to the fish, try fishing directly upstream and wade cautiously. Line control is a major thing to work on fishing that way though. I will be honest and I am not trying to get in an argument, but if you have the chance check out a comp. Just to watch those guys nymph. You will learn a lot and in no way ever have to become a comp angler. It really is something worthwhile to check out.

Que Trolls.

SBecker said;

but if you have the chance check out a comp. Just to watch those guys nymph. You will learn a lot and in no way ever have to become a comp angler.

I agree. No matter what your attitude regarding competitions and where and when they are held, the fact is these folks have put in a great deal of time, thought, money and experiment refining nymphing probably more than anything else.

And since Jeremy lives in Lewistown, he is just around the corner from a comp on Kish creek scheduled for late October. Not sure where on Kish but maybe someone could clue him in. In fact, if he hosted someone for the comp he would likely get lots of personal attention and get more than if he paid big bucks to TCO or FFP for a lesson. Get permission from girlfriend first of course.

Something you may want to consider is pre-rigging your dry droppers. Tie some up before you hit the water at your house, when you can sit down and tie good clean knots, and you can store them in one of those cheap clear adjustable compartment plano boxes. Once on the stream just clinch knot the dry and you are good to go.

Tie some with short, some with medium, and some with long droppers.

It will save time and frustration on the water, and its an excellent tactic to have at your disposal, but when standing in the middle of a river, its a pain to rig up.

Thanks for the tip about the competition on Kish creek. I would never have known it was happening. Can I just go and watch somehow? I feel like it would be hard to watch a competition on a stream... I'd definitely like to figure out where it will be held, and if I can go watch it.

Anyway, tonight I went out to Tea Creek. The water has been low and clear there, so I was hoping I could maybe catch some fish after all the rain.

Lv2nymph showed me the basics of tight-line nymphing on Sunday, so I decided I'd try that. It worked great! I brought 2 trout to my net, lost one after it ran into some fast water, and turned several more, all in the course of about an hour! This compared to the one tiny brookie I've caught over the course of my last 3 or 4 trips there.

I feel like tight lining was a lot more sensitive to takes than indicator nymphing - I kept on trying to set the hook on leaves that had drifted into my flies.

Plus I was able to fish water that was only 6 or 8 inches deep, and then go directly to fishing water that was 3 or 4 feet deep without even adjusting my rig! That was a huge advantage - I hooked one trout in really shallow water where I didn't think there'd even be a fish. There was no way I ever would have been able to cover that water with an indicator on my line, either.

Sorry about the picture quality - I was trying to snap a quick picture and get back to fishing!

Izt-d2Sq7oM7FTBolDCPi87verhQr0ODip_GMz3sLqA=w557-h553-no

4dpyIpIOL_NQanTP44326YEhmB0zcj4gRh5zOMecR0I=w647-h553-no

Yes,very good Jeremy!

jeremymcon wrote:
Thanks for the tip about the competition on Kish creek. I would never have known it was happening. Can I just go and watch somehow? I feel like it would be hard to watch a competition on a stream... I'd definitely like to figure out where it will be held, and if I can go watch it.

I am away for the weekend competing in the Catskills, but when I get back I will send you all the info. Will even get you in contact with the organizer. Spectators are welcome and the guys have no problem with answering questions.

Nice job Jeremy! As your confidence level grows in various nymphing techniques your catch rate will soar. Nymphing is IMO the most productive way to fly fish for trout under many types of conditions. Seems like you are well on your way.

To answer you question, "Can you nymph at distance without an indicator." The answer is yes and you do not have to fish always upstream. The Leisenring lift listed in many books such as Brooks book on nymphing for bigger trout. In heavier water such as earlier spring. The further you can cast upstream the longer the nymph has to get down. The art of mending very basically is keeping the fly and the last bit of fly line drifting in the same speed of current. This is really not that difficult and can quickly be mastered. Once the drift is parallel to you and drifting by it should be at the proper depth. You can then add line to the drift or in a search for fish such as looking for stocked trout, you can walk along with the drift extending it for great distances. The stream I fish is large by comparison to most trout streams and this technique is my preferred method. Which is really adapted from streamer fishing. Experience will teach you the feel for the depth and speed and the strike zone. I am fishing for wild browns mostly on less than pressured trout. Pressured trout will sometimes feed in spite of the presence of fisherman which may factor in the success of tight line techniques and high sticking or czech techniques. Moving the line and keeping up with the drift when cast upstream tickling the bottom is the way to go for me on clearer conditions. I don't personally use any indicators unless I am imitating damsel flies or crayfish and utilizing a hop. Deadly and sometimes the only way to go. The real advantage for an indicator for me is being able to get unhooked from the bottom. I roll the indicator to different angles and snap it quickly. The indicator provides the tension to pull it loose. I prefer to nymph on the streams that I fish through the winter and hatch seasons. Good luck and Happy nymphing. I hope it helps.

Back