New to forum-looking for info on the Clarion

H

hands-of-stone

Hello, all. I'm new here and haven't held a fly rod in about 6 years. Used to fish the Susquehannah below H'burg back then for smallies, and had a ball doing it. Well, we all know how that is going, so I'm interested in returning to another spot that a friend took me to years ago, the Clarion. Looking to go up there probably during the last week of July, looking to fish for smallies and trout.

Now I havent fished for trout much at all, most of my gear is for smallies( 6&8 wt rods&reels)

Is there good fishing around Cook Forest SP? That's where the family & I would camp

Taking 18 yr old son(who has fly fished before) & 15 yr old daughter (who hasn't) out on the water for wet wading. Mom stays ashore with her book.

Is my tackle too heavy for Clarion trout? If so, what do I need, and what flies would be good at the end of July?

Thanks in advance for any info!

-Steve

Hi Steve. Welcome to PAFF.

The water can get pretty low and warm near Cook Forest by the end of July. I canoed that section a few years ago around that time and there were stretches where the boat was dragging bottom for awhile. There are also some deep holes scattered throughout and I saw plenty of people fishing from the banks at these holes. Most surprising, I did see a couple trout hugging the bottom in some of the slower deeper water. Probably more of an exception than a rule at that time of year.

I would think that a 6wt would be just about perfect. As far as flies, Clouser minnows and smallmouth were made for each other. Bunny leeches, buggers, etc.

I'm sure that others will chime in with better information. There has been some Clarion talk in the Stream Locations section of the forum. You can use the advance search tool and check out some of the previous posts.

Hope this helps a little.

that section does not hold many trout, and any would be in deep holes (usually not eating) or in shallow riffles feeding. however there is good bass fishing all along that stretch. for trout you need to fish around ridgeway. you can rent canoes or kayaks at cook SF or in ridgeway.

Back