New line?

171farm

171farm

So I need to get some new line and Im having a hard time picking out what to get. I have a 5/6wt rod, fish only trout in small to medium streams with similar cast lengths. I like to use both wet and dry flies.

What is a affordable line that would fit my needs?

Based on what I've learned on this forum you will probably want 6wt floating WF (weight forward).

Cabela's has a huge selection of fly lines. They have a combo package that includes backing, fly line and leader for $24.99.

Here's the link:

Cabela's Three Forks™ Fly Line

I've seen line at LL Bean for $19.99 in their store but not online.

I'll second RCFetter's recommendation.

delta_dog wrote:
Hook & Hackle line

Yep. Supposed to be identical to Cortland 444.

IMHO, by far the best bang for the buck in fly lines has got to be LLBean's Streamlight. It is basically SA's Mastery Series Headstart just relabelled for Bean and they sell them for $19.99 and I've seen them on sale regularly for $14.99.

jrmyln wrote:
IMHO, by far the best bang for the buck in fly lines has got to be LLBean's Streamlight. It is basically SA's Mastery Series Headstart just relabelled for Bean and they sell them for $19.99 and I've seen them on sale regularly for $14.99.

But only in the store?

I wonder if buying an expensive line is cheaper in the long run.

I have lines over 12 yrs old. Orvis at about $49. They are like new but of course I have not used them much and I'm strict about maintaining them.

Yes, only in stores. It comes in a plastic Ziploc bag, no plastic spool, no fancy box.
Bean is having a 20% off fishing gear sale this weekend.

MRFC.com (Madison river fishing company) has RIO Trout LT WF on cleareance for $35. Great line at a good price.

That big box store (gasp!) with the words Bass and Pro in their title will sell unboxed WF lines for 4 or 5 bucks if you time it right. Lines are usually Cortland made and are not factory seconds. You can call them and ask to see whats in the bin. Check out the Risen lines elsewhere on this site too... they've been getting good reviews and the price is right. I haven't fished one as yet though. Sierra Trading Post website can have super cheap closeouts too! JG

Back