New guy

S

silent

So I'm new to fly fishing just started this season and so far my luck has been terrible. I've been practicing my cast and I think I'm doing good so far, I can get my line out a decent distance and usually within the area I want. I've tried a few different spots like Hay Creek, Antietam Creek and The Tulpehocken and just don't seem to have any luck mostly using zebra midges, bead head prince nymphs and a pt nymph. Anyone have any advice? I enjoy being out on the water fly fishing but I would enjoy it more if I could catch a few ;)

silent.........you WILL catch a few if you keep at it , don't get discouraged , try finding a nice farm pond full of bluegills , they will take the flies you mention eagerly , you won't get bored 'cause you'll be catching fish and you will also learn casting , playing and landing fish before you know it. DON"T GIVE UP!!!

Well I'm pretty new to the area and don't really know too many places around here. I was referred to the tully by tco outfitters in west lawn, I was out on the creek from 2p to about 5, saw a few fish rising about 15 feet away and even one crazy little fellow jumping out the water a few times not far from me either. Needless to say after that I felt terrible and headed home.

Silent,

I'm sure there are plenty of fish in the streams you've fished, so hang in there. Also the flies you are using should catch fish.

Probably the easiest way to get started is with a woolly bugger. Cast across stream and allow the fly to drift in the current and swing across the stream. Also try stripping as the fly swings to see what presentation the fish like that day. You can also fish a bugger quartering upstream and fishing without drag, after it drifts downstream, swing and strip as above.

Try the Indicator rig seen below. Put the Indy 11/2 to 2X the depth of the water. If you are not hitting bottom occasionally, add a small split shot 8" +/- above the fly as shown below.

Cast quartering or straight upstream, and strip the line in to take out the slack. The key is to get the Indy to float free without drag. When the Indy begins dragging recast.

After you fish the Delayed Harvest section on the Tully, try the open water downstream (anywhere below the red covered bridge). The fish in the Special Regs area are a lot more educated, the fish below may appreciate your offerings...lol

Good luck.

Some good info here: http://stevenojai.tripod.com/nymph.htm

Attachments

• nymphrig2.JPG
    nymphrig2.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 5
Welcome to the board!! Do you have a friend that fly fishs and can spend some time with you. You have already received some great advice, but having a mentor to show you thing on stream is a great advantage. I will be at the Little Lehigh tomorrow. PM me if you would like to fish there.

K ill try as you said afish thank you. And no whheff I don't know anyone that fly fishes. How far is the Little Lehigh from me?

silent wrote:
How far is the Little Lehigh from me?

The LL is in Allentown. Go to the Little Lehigh Fly Shop web site and you can get an idea of what the stream is like. It is off Ceder Crest Blvd. If you have ever been to Dorney Park, you are not far from the LL. Does this help?

Don't worry.. fly fishing is tough when you first start.. and if you're fishing the special regs area of the tully, dont be discouraged.. fish in special reg areas can be extremely finnicky.

I was fishing the Paper Mills section right by that metal grate bridge.

Use more weight on your flies. Buy a small container of fly fishing split shot. They are much smaller than your typical spin split shot. The key to nymphing is getting the flies in the feeding lane. I'm guessing that you're not catching fish because your flies aren't deep enough. Put some split shot on your line when fishing nymphs and see if you can get a few more strikes. There's a handful of guys on here from your area. Maybe one will volunteer to show you the ropes!!

I can't believe nobody's manned up to help 'silent'. I will and it also helps me cross one or two things off of my goals for 2010.

Silent, drop me a PM. If I can get down your way(Tully or LL), I'll be more than glad to give you a hand.

Andy

Good for you sight-nymph. Somebody is you.

I'm a couple hours from there or I would have volunteered. You'll learn to love this site Silent... there's a bunch of guys on here like sight nymph who are always willing to help out. Check out our annual fishing JAM on the events forum. There will likely be 50+ of us from the board getting together to fish for a long weekend. You'll learn a bunch of info if you join us!

Back