Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Leader to Line Connection

From Lewistown, PA
Don't use a lighter! I learned that the hard way. It doesn't make a very secure connection. Let's just say I almost list a whole leader to a false cast... Like a couple other guys said- I like tying some heavy mono to the line with a nail knot, then use surgeon's loops for a loop to loop connection to the leader. I like "amnesia" 20 or 30 lb test - it's high vis so you can use it as a sort of indicator. The nail knot's really strong, but kind of a pain to tie, so I think this is a good compromise.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 10:57

From Johnstown, PA
A lighter works but you aren't supposed to set it on fire!!!!! You almost lost the leader cause you didn't shove the mono up into the braid far enough , shove it up until it hits the loop part and won't go any farther.

Posted on: 2013/2/8 9:49

From Lewistown, PA
Ha ha yea... I have to admit that almost losing the leader was more my fault than the braided loop's... Maybe if I had taken more time to put it on it wouldn't have been a problem.

Posted on: 2013/2/11 20:23

From Ligonier
Based on recommendations from the forum, I purchased a tapered leader and attached with the trusty nail knot. Maybe I'll use the shrink connector next time. Thanks!!

Posted on: 2013/2/13 9:43

From Schuylkill County
I have been using these braided loop connections for many years but recently my confidence in them was shaken. I had replaced the connector at the beginning of the season on a fly line that probably should have been replaced since it was starting to crack and dry out. About a month ago while trying to free my rig from an overhead tree, the connector slipped right off the fly line. I again replaced the connector when I returned home. A few weeks later the connection again failed. This time while landing a nice rainbow. As I said, I have been using these connectors for years with no problems. I believe the issue in this case was the aging, cracked and dry condition of the fly line.

Posted on: 2013/10/15 11:42

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com