Leader question: Dry vs Nymph

sroach

sroach

Maybe a dumb question..

Is it OK to use the same leader for dry's vs Nymph's?

Yes.

Many of us specialize. That doesn't mean you have to.

You definitely can but if you get a chance read George Daniels book...Dynamic nymphing. You will learn alot about nymphing techniques.

Thanks for the information on the book, heading over to Amazon to order a copy right now.

I’ll second the positive comment on the book and the author as well. I bought the book on line and had it with me on a weekend trip to Spring Creek. Stopped in the shop to get the fixing to tie one of George’s fly’s and he signed the book and gave me one of the flies as a sample. Good guy, spent time to talk about tying and fishing the fly.
Buffalo

Yes, you can use the same leader. Many times you can just take a nymph off and tie a dry fly on.

Other times you may want to make an adjustment of the tippet, adding some tippet material to add length, and sometimes going to the next finer size. For example going from 4x to 5x, or 5x to 6x, for the final tippet.

Agree with others that you definitely can use the same leader to fish dries and nymphs. The great thing about this passion of ours is that things can range from a simplistic approach to highly specialized one. I have been a dry fly guy who nymphs to pass the time waiting for a hatch. After 40+ years, I committed to becoming a better nymph fisherman. Tips I've learned from George's book and Aaron Jasper's DVD series have increased my catch rate 10 fold. Most of that has related to use of a specialized sighter leader and the short line Euro technique.

Picked up the book and it's a great read so far.

Thanks again for the tip.

Back