Just starting out

P

pwk5017

Hello all,

I have been enjoying the information on this board for a week or so and decided to join up. I have fished all my life, and always wanted to fly fish, but the opportunity never presented itself. Until that is, I found out Penn State had a fly fishing course. So, I am signed up, but class doesnt start until the 10th of feb. In my eagerness, I have spent about 10 hours in my yard casting, and now that I am back in State College, I have been out twice. Obviously, no fish to show for it, and no bites either. I cant say I expected either, so I am not disheartened yet. My main questions are: 1] am I wasting my time by going out at this time of the year? 2] I have my hands on all the major trout books, and have read them all, but they sort of lack on the visuals, are there any online sources that illustrate mending, nymphing and other techniques? 3] what are the techniques a new guy should focus on first? Thanks to everyone, im excited to be here.

Patrick

Hi Patrick - You're right next to the "easiest" trout stream in PA. That'd be Spring Creek. It fishes well all year 'round, but this is definitely the toughest time of year to fish it.

Check youtube - there's a ton of videos there.

If you want some good quality help (in person), stop by Flyfisher's Paradise up by the Nittany Mall. They've been helping out newbies for decades, and they'll steer you straight. IMHO, they're the best fly shop in the state. Many of us here have benefitted from their expertise, and they have a bunch of instructional stuff coming up.

Make sure you pick up a catalog if you stop in.

Here's their website...

http://flyfishersparadise.com/

I wouldn't say Spring Creek is easy, you have to be a pretty good fishermen and match the hatch well to catch fish there.

Also Bald Eagle is close to Penn State and Black Moshanon State Park also has some good fishing. Both are within 10-15 minutes of PSU.

Also casting is only part of the game, if you can't mend it doesn't matter how good your cast is.
http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/techniques/monahan_mending.aspx

I agree with heritage. FFP in State college is very newbie friendly. While I was newbie long before I arrived in SC, I have observed Steve and others helping those new to the sport. A colleague of mine recently started FF and found them to be very helpful.
They also don't try to force the high end stuff and unnecessary extras- just what you need.
The service is great too.
Free fly tying seminars are coming up soon.

PSU has a FF club. Meets every thursday in ASI, 7pm I believe

The Little J is a great trip. Consider joining the Little Juniata River Assoc. You can help support the river and get great advice and info from the members
http://www.littlejuniata.org/

Of all the streams in the area Spring is the "easiest", but not easy. Don't be put off if it takes a few trips to land one.
Winter is a tough time to start the sport. However, time put in now will pay off in April when the fish start to turn on.

good luck and hope to see you on the water

Winter fishing can be great. The last week or so has been a bit slower than usual. It will pick up shortly.

I live in the SC area and usually fish a few times a week. Send me a PM if you're interested in meeting up and fishing spring creek one afternoon. I'll probably be out there anyway.

Patrick,
Welcome to PAFF! Here's another plug for you to visit FFP - great crew there.

No, you're not wasting your time fly fishing (FFing) this time of year but as others have pointed out, its tough. I'd suggest, if you're looking just to catch some trout for the next 3-4 months, that you focus on basic nymph fishing. This will work on Spring Creek and pretty much everywhere else. Your class should cover it and the folks at FFP can set you up. I recommend you get some strike indicators too. Good luck. Keep us aprised on your progress and feel free to continue to ask questions here.
Dave W

Patrick,

take midnight angler up on the offer. When you show up, bring a pack of medium sized thingamabobbers, an assortment of splitshot, a 7.5 and 9 foot tapered leader, a spool of 5x tippet, and some buggers, small nymphs and midges. Good luck.

good luck in your endeavors... youtube is your friend man. utilize it.

pwk5017 wrote:
Until that is, I found out Penn State had a fly fishing course. So, I am signed up, but class doesnt start until the 10th of feb.

Stunningly awesome concept, no? That is a great opportunity to learn fly fishing in a wonderful part of the state, heck country. Have fun!

Welcome PWK.IMHO experience is all you need .Of course the learnig curve is less steep with a class or toutring.Just have fun and you'll get the knack down sooner than you think. GG

Thanks for all the tips, links, and advice. I did take midnightangler up on his offer, and he quickly replied, so I am looking forward to watching someone's technique up close. I already have all my gear, but I have been into TCO and FFP and both staffs were very helpful about flies, indicators, etc. It is fortunate to have two nice fly shops so close to town.

IMO read and watch: Bad habbits are hard to break, so on the 10th you will be hooked for life.

enjoy the adventure.

Joe E

Hi all!
I've been a spin caster all my life but I've recently I've started dabbling in fly fishing. The World Fishing Network and my boyfriend have been my tutors so my advice would be to check out WFN I learned how to spey cast with an Izzumi!
here is the link:
http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/videos/channels/hookin-up-with-mariko-izumi/hookin-up-in-portland-17148.aspx

Mariko is very watchable.

FS,
Welcome to the PAFF forum.

There are a few sites that have video clips to demostrate all things from casting to fly tying. I have found youtube helpful. Here is another site that has a few videos that may be of interest...http://www.midcurrent.com/video/videos.aspx. Good luck

pwk- If you ever wanna hit up the little J lemme know. Just shoot me a pm and we can do it up any weekend.

dont let ed and these guys fool you that spring is easy.... all thats in there are carp.....lol

flipnfly wrote:
dont let ed and these guys fool you that spring is easy.... all thats in there are carp.....lol

I wasn't going to do this, but since you brought it up... :lol:

Attachments

• Nellocarp.jpg
    Nellocarp.jpg
    634.6 KB · Views: 3
Back