Just Fishing in the Rain ..

Stagger_Lee

Stagger_Lee

As long as it isn’t a downpour and there is no wind, is not bad. Hit Cabelas early Friday AM to shop for a new rod (7’6). Had a meeting set up in Philly for noon and packed up my gear. My plan was if the meeting didn’t go to long I could hit Valley for a couple of hours. Abt 10 AM get a call from my customer that he has to reschedule which was fine with me .. off to the Lil Lehigh where I am more comfortable anyhow.

I must learn how to land fish correctly because I am doing something wrong!

I hooked 3 (which is great for me) but couldn’t land them and lost’em in various stages. Also had a handful of bites but my reaction wasn’t fast enough to hook. There was one time where I hooked and the fish jumped out of the H2O which really got my adrenalin flowing, very exciting, but I lost it. It was drizzling most of the day but with no wind or downpours, didn’t bother me. Actually felt the constant drops hitting the water made it a lil easier for me as my presentation isn’t great. When the flies hit the water the splash didn’t spook the fish.

All in all a good time for me. Felt great hooking three in a few hours and doing some things right without one of you guys directing me.

I love fishing in the rain. Dont mind golfing in the rain either if its not a downpour. I like doing both activities in the rain because it almost certainly keeps alot of people off the water/course. Fishing in the rain is almost always productive too. You wont spook the fish as easily. You are fishing under lower light conditions. Rain usually means higher flows and great discoloration of the water, which is almost always a plus(a nearby smallmouth stream is the complete opposite, it always fishes better when low and clear--odd). Most of all, I like fishing in a steady snow shower.

Sounds like you had a good time.

One word of advise, get off the water if there is lightening a graphite rod is an excellent conductor of electricity, so is a golf club.
On the other hand fishing in the rain is one of my favorite times to be out.
With regard to landing fish once hooked, make sure you give the line a good hook set, most often the trout will set the hook themselves, but if there is any doubt, set the hook with a sharp tug on the rod. Never leave sack on the water, and that business of point the rod t a jumping fish is nonsense. Always keep tension on the line, as soon as there is any lack of tension you will run the risk of losing the fish. As soon as you cast you must manage the line on the water, all slack must be retrieved. Slack equals lost fish. I'm retired, so anytime you want to go fishing pm me or otherwise let me know, I'll be glad to help.

Chaz .. thanks and we'll 'hook' up next year.

Think that is my problem and tho I felt like I was doing a lot right I have to work on the slack issue. I'm just never sure when to continue and/or stop stripping in the slack. Felt good and comfy out there, casting to the right spots and hitting my targets a decent amt of time but I'm going to have to get some pointers on line management. I think that may be part of my problem .. actually don't think, i know.

Per lightning .. yea in my golfing days I loved when it would rain lightly b/ it would really soften the greens. That said; I have had to get off the course numerous times when I was feeling my mojo only to fall apart when the lightning passed on.

Rain is good-in August,pretty wet this time of year.lol

Back