How to nymph

B

blakew510

I know this is a bit of a dumb question but what is the basic nymphing rig? I know they're supposed to be pretty effective, but i've never had any luck. I usually take a thingamabobber and attatch that somewhere towards the middle of the leader then tie a nymph to the tippet and pt a split shot just above the knot between the leader and tippet (about 12 inches of tipper)...it might sound hideous but can someone just teach me the easiest setup, or even an easy way to fish two at once

There are many threads on nymphing in this forum just do a search. However it sounds like you have a good set up for a beginner. There are so many different set ups for nymphing but I would stick with the rig you have. If your not catching fish its probably related to your drift, speed, or depth. Play around with the distance between your indicator and fly, adjust your weight by adding more shot or taking some off. Adding a second fly is simple just tie some line to the bend of your first nymph and attach a second nymph to that about 6 inches away. However this makes things more difficult and likely to tangle, stick with one for a little bit. There is a TON of great information on this subject in the forum, hope this helps.

The easiest way to get started nymphing is to use an indicator. Thingamabobbers are very popular indies. Attach the indie around 1.5x the depth of the water as a starting point.

As Ryan wrote above, add weight and a little distance from the fly until you are riding just above the bottom where the fish are most likely to be.

The most important thing after you have your fly riding near the bottom is to get a drag-free drift.

Cast upstream at an angle and allow your indie (as well as the fly below) to drift naturally downstream like a leaf or bubble floating on the water.

If the line drifts downstream of the indie, it will begin to drag your rig. Lift the line off the water (gently) and reposition it upstream; that's called mending.

Fish out the drift until your rig ends up downstream, past your position. It's now time to recast above and begin a new drift.

Work all the water in front of you from close in to as far as you can cast and mend, but no need to cast too far and lose control of your drift.

Keep moving (most times it best to move upstream) and working all the water.

Here is some good info on how to rig and fish nymphs. Give it a try...good luck!

Nymph Fishing Tips

The setup you are using sounds OK.

The most important thing is to be sure you are fishing a stream that has a significant number of trout in it.

That may sound sarcastic, but it isn't. When I was starting out I fished a lot of streams that I realize now, with more experience, that at the times of the year I was fishing there, the number of trout was extremely low, and approaching zero in some cases.

If you are in a stream that has trout, and you cast standard nymph patterns up and across in riffles and let it drift down into pockets and the heads of pools, you will start catching trout.

There is a ton of stuff to read about nymphing, but much of it is very complicated, about specialized rods and complicated leaders and techniques. And that can be confusing.

But at its basic level, nymphing is very simple. You can use a standard fly rod, and standard leader.

And just cast up and across, and drift the nymph down through good looking spots, and watch for takes. That's it.

You will pick up many tricks and techniques as you get more experience, but just doing that will catch plenty of trout.

It's just like fishing worms for trout. Cast up and across, drift it down through good looking spots, follow the drift with your rod tip, strike when you see any unusual movement in the line and leader.

Lots of good information so far. One thing I did that was very helpful was get on youtube and watch a video called Dynamic Nymphing and also a few videos that had Joe Humphreys.

Your setup seems like it would work. I found that once you get the drift/depth right you will start catching fish. I like to fish beadhead nymphs and add weight as needed.

Make sure you nymphs are getting down, not hanging up on every cast but bumping the bottom every few casts. I like to adjust my indicator until it is hanging up on the bottom and then adjust the indicator to run the nymphs a few inches shallower. I nymph with a very short line. I dont like having line on the water which works well since I fish small streams.

Another thing is any time your indicator does something other than float with the current strike. If it pauses strike, if it stops strike, if it moves sideways strike, if it turns unnaturally - strike, these can be very subtle. When in doubt strike. Good luck!

I tend to do the best with nymphs fishing riffles or broken water.

I have been fly fishing for over 40 years and still cannot consistently catch trout on nymphs, but I keep trying. I'm sure you'll do much better than I.

Back