Hook line and ... everything else

mrwisker

mrwisker

I've been thinking long and hard about learning to flyfish, and finally took the plunge.
Cabela's has the prestige set, so that's what I got.
7'6" 4wt complete ready to use, that was last week.
Yesterday I made the round trip, I started at LL Bean (near me not in main) for a learn to fly cast seminar, which was well worth the time if you don't have a clue. (free to boot) Next was cabela's for a shopping spree in flies and other fishing equipment. The to the Heritage fly shop by the LL (few more flies and more information)
I'm looking forward to actually getting out and doing some fishing.
What really convinced me to take the plunge is the stretch of the monocacy creek near me that looked like it was boiling for all the fish surfacing for flies.

In about 2 months time I am seriously considering a 30 week fly tying course. :)

Any recomendations on the best tools to use for the best prices.

Looking forward to meeting, greeting, and learning with everyone here

Mike

Mike,

Welcome to the Jungle.

Come to the Little Lehigh on May 5th for the next "Fox Foray"

You will certainly get a lot of good information and meet a lot of newbies like us and some not-so-newbies who are giving up their own fishing time to educate us.

Dave

Hey Mike!
Welcome and glad you decided to take the plunge. I consider myself to be a Noob as well, but also got the kit from Cabela's which to me is a pretty good setup for the price. I think the best thing you can do is show up May 5th. I haven't met anyone yet but I am planning on going as well for at least an hour to get some good info. Other than that there are some good Youtube video's on knots, tools and casting techniques. I would recommend checking them out in the meantime and maybe hitting a small stream to practice, or even your backyard.

Back