Great tip for newbs/confidence building.

BPS

BPS

Just getting into ffing? In a slump?

Follow my tried and true method on getting your MOJO back.

Find a stream that stocks for a derby/tournament and go hit it the next day. HAHA! What a blast that is. Those clubs usually feed the crap out of their fish. So much that a 14 incher is pushing 2 pounds.

Just did this on Sunday and didn't catch a fish under 13 inches, and caught 4 over 22". It's a great way to practice casting/presentation etc. AND fight some BIG FISH! I know some guys will say the don't fight like a wild one, but a 22 inch, 7 lb stocker will out pull that 5 inch stocker anyday of the week. I see some guys practicing with panfish, and that's cool too, but this way you are at least fishing the same type of water for the same species, albeit bigger, and most times dumber scientifically engineered versions. Most importantly though, it is FUN.

So if you got a club nearby, stop in and try it out. I usually buy a yearly membership for 10-20 bucks as well to help support the club too. It's a win/win. I also take my daughter to these places because the more she catches fish the more she wants to go fishing, and as a Dad of a very pretty little girl that makes me happy/less stressed about those inevitable teen years.

BPS wrote:
and as a Dad of a very pretty little girl that makes me happy/less stressed about those inevitable teen years.

You're an Altoid, just teach she's only allowed to date dudes with a full smile's worth of teeth, she'll end up a nun... ;-)

Go brookie fishing or pan fishing. Hard to do wrong there.

lol I actually moved 30 miles northwest of Altoona just so she won't have to go to school there.

I'd rather take up cross-stitching than catch sunfish or LMB.

Brookies really ain't my thing unless I'm making some sorta hiking/camping trip out of it. Plus there's no way I'm taking a 2 year old along the Mountain laurel/boulder strewn brookie streams around here.

Just giving an alternative. I know it's not the refined, sophisticated thing to do, but I still have neoprene waders and my net cost less than 20 bucks. (got all my own teeth tho, Gfen)

Back