Fly fishing from a kayak

mrwisker

mrwisker

Very seriusly contemplating a kayak purchase for fishing.
Anybody here fish from a kayak?

One of my buddies has one - a double seater - and we have fished out of it a few times. Mosty used for float tripping, and then getting out to wade fish good areas. And it was fine for that

However, last spring we actully fished out of it on a large hole of a favorite river that was too high to wade.
We only took one rod out - one guy fished while the other manned the oars against the high current. And we just took turns casting to rising fish. Had no worries about catching each others line - or body parts - and it worked out quite well

L.L.Bean- all kayaks 20% off today.

yes, i fish from my kayak often. I don't know exactly what kind of info you're looking for, but i can tell you a few things. It's hard work, but few things that are worthwhile come easily.
Casting from a yak is much harder for fly fisherman. you're sitting down (in some kayaks you can stand, but it's uncomfortable for long periods IMO), there is a myriad of things your line can get tangled on, and you'll have to really contort your body/change your preferred casting style to make some of the casts. Boat control can be an issue too, especially on windy days.
You'll want an anchor but be careful anchoring in heavy current or waves. Familiarize yourself with your yak and safety measures prior to doing any serious fishing. This means practicing rolling, getting back into the yak in open water, etc.

+1 on iceyguides comments. The same issues (tangles, wind, standing, changing casting style, etc) apply to pontoons and driftboats too.

Using it as transportation is great, fishing from one isn't quite as easy to do.

I fish from mine all the time. It can be a bit much for someone just starting out. Managing line, casting from a seated position, reading the current an keeping yourself in the proper drift. It all gets easier the more you do it.

I almost bought one this year and probably will next year. I'm mostly thinking of warm water use though. If you are considering a purchase or just want to learn more about fishing kayaks, I highly recommend picking up a copy of Jon Shein's book:
http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/honest-angler/2011/08/book-kayak-fishing

krayfish wrote:
+1 on iceyguides comments. The same issues (tangles, wind, standing, changing casting style, etc) apply to pontoons and driftboats too.

Using it as transportation is great, fishing from one isn't quite as easy to do.

Agreed. My MO is to fish a little from it on the way down, find a good spot and get out and wade fish. Repeat. All the way down to the takeout.

I FF from my canoe on still water a lot and its no more difficult than casting from shore--actually, I would say line control is easier, because I always seem to have excess fly line tangle on small brush at my feet when I am on shore. I do prefer my 10' over my 9' when I am sitting in the canoe. It helps in your backcast to keep your line from hitting the water behind you.

Paddling a kayak is an absolute blast and I'd highly recommend it.

However, fishing from one poses some challenges. Like Afishinado, I prefer to get out and wade. I own a couple yaks and love 'em but for fishing, I now prefer my canoe. It's not as fast but has more space and is generally easier to fish from and I can still use a kayak paddle to propel it.

You can also do some trolling with it too on still waters

Back