Finding small streams

jeremymcon

jeremymcon

I've been hearing about fishing small streams for wild trout. I looked on the PAFBC website, and did manage to find a list of streams where wild trout populations are know to exist, but I have trouble actually finding the streams. The list gives GPS coordinates for some point along the stream, but even with that I haven't been able to find a place where I can get onto one without being on someone's property.

I've been thinking that it'd be good to get a detailed map that would show where exactly these little streams are, but I can't seem to find a source for detailed topographical maps for this area.

So, is there a good method for finding small streams?

I've been using the PA delorme to find remote streams for many years. It's got plenty of detail for that, and I really don't think any better topo maps are needed IMO.

As for streams - or sections of them - being posted, well that's part of the game. But you can still pretty much assume that any stream running on public land - state forest or park etc. - would not be posted.
There are definitely many WT streams open to fishing

Look at maps online or just look at a PA highway map and figure out what state forests are close to you. Then Google the name of those state forests and get their phone numbers. Then call them, and they will send you a free state forest map.

Then you just fish the small streams in those state forests.

Also figure out which state gamelands are nearby. The PGC no longer makes printed maps. But they have the SGL maps on the internet.

And as dryflyguy said, get the DeLorme Atlas.

Type the coordinates into Google maps and add a - to the second coordinate and it will take you to the streams mouth. Now I'll warn you that there are 67 Laurel Runs and over 20 Laurel Creeks in PA with as many as 4 or five of the same in any particular county, so yes just looking at a map won't always get you to the right stream.
You can take the coordinates and look at a gazetteer of PA and find the stream you're looking for.

The GPS Fishing Guide for iPhone also has all the streams mapped over roads, satellite images or USGS topographic maps and can give you turn-by-turn directions to points where roads cross.

There is a thread on the subject on this forum.

As a matter of fact you can click on the gps fishing guide to Pennsylvania on the right hand side of the screen to learn all about it. It's a good one.

Use available on line maps. Drive to "likely access areas" (bridges, long stretches with no house/structures) and see if the land looks inviting with a lack of signs or otherwise.

Or, after say 10:00 AM, knock on the door of the nearest occupied structure and ask if the owner minds an angler on the land to access the stream-- suggest you will stay near the stream, not disturb crops or whatever, and that you release trout unless the landowner wants a few for dinner, in which case you can offer to give him your creel.

Thanks guys. Lots of information! I bought the DeLorme atlas for pa, and I also have the list of class a streams in pa, as well as a natural reproduction list. I wish I had a smartphone... That GPS fishin guide looks useful. Anyway, I guess what I need now is some spare time to actually to and find these places! Too bad I can't buy that on the internet...

Jersey, try using Google Maps or one of the others with available satellite pictures. If they are available, you can get an idea of the distance any part of the stream might be from homes or buildings. Oftentimes in long stretches of unoccupied land, the landowner does not object to anglers using the water responsibly.

The best practice is to ask permission, but many of us consider the lack of posting and remoteness a clue to the landowners' attitude toward "trespassing" anglers. (Added: pulloffs and paths are helpful clues, too).

The DeLorme maps are fine but sometimes you need a more detailed map. I also use google maps and you can zoom in and save the map to an image editing program like MS Paint.

When you have the map browser window open use keys "Shift" and "PrintScroll" or "PrtSc" (usually found in the upper right on your keyboard) simultaneously, then open your image editing program and choose "paste" or "insert clipboard" and you can save the map for printing, add your notes including mileage ect and print them and take them with you.

I have dozens of stream locations saved on my computer, some are hit & miss but you will find out when you get there. Don't forget to make use of State Forest and Gameland maps as well.

I don't know if you hunt and know this, but the very last few days of April, 27th, I think, and all of May, is spring turkey season, and the SGLs and State Forests will have a decent amount of turkey hunters.......wear some orange. They are no longer required to wear orange in the spring, so they may not see you, and you may not see them.

The first half of the season from the 27 to the 11th is only hunting till 12 pm, noon. After that it runs sun up till one half hour after technical sunset. I wouldn't let it keep you out of the woods, but be alert. Maybe you're a hunter, who knows, but now everyone knows.

BeastBrown wrote:
I don't know if you hunt and know this, but the very last few days of April, 27th, I think, and all of May, is spring turkey season, and the SGLs and State Forests will have a decent amount of turkey hunters.......wear some orange. They are no longer required to wear orange in the spring, so they may not see you, and you may not see them.

The first half of the season from the 27 to the 11th is only hunting till 12 pm, noon. After that it runs sun up till one half hour after technical sunset. I wouldn't let it keep you out of the woods, but be alert. Maybe you're a hunter, who knows, but now everyone knows.
I know if I am in the woods and if it's before noon I won't be trout fishing. I'll be after Ben Franklin's favorite bird. Turkey hunting in the morning and trout fishing during the afternoon. A splendid combination! :-D

A buddy turned me on to the wild trout streams .KMZ plug in files for google earth. I found some stuff in my local area that I wasnt even aware of.

WildTigerTrout wrote:
BeastBrown wrote:

I know if I am in the woods and if it's before noon I won't be trout fishing. I'll be after Ben Franklin's favorite bird. Turkey hunting in the morning and trout fishing during the afternoon. A splendid combination! :-D
Here, here. couldn't agree more.

I'm not a hunter, but that's good to know. lol. Thanks.

I fish a lot of SGL streams and always have on 2 pieces of blaze orange, hat & vest, on Sundays you can leave them at home

Here ya go.

http://www.pasda.psu.edu/uci/SearchResults.aspx?originator=Pennsylvania%20Fish%20and%20Boat%20Commission&Keyword=&searchType=originator&entry=PASDA&sessionID=45234470420134992059

There are several viewers. Personally, I like the lightning bolt/preview data thing, as it gives you the best topo map combined with the highlighted info.

Lots of maps there to use. Personally, I use the "stream sections that support wild trout" the most, and "class A wild trout streams" the second most.

If you're a GPS/smartphone guy, UFMGuy has some of these applications available for car based GPS units, and more of them available for smartphones.

A DeLorme gazeeter combined with a Higbee stream map.....can't go wrong.

Back