Favorite Steelhead Flies

JWsmalls

JWsmalls

I'm trying to put together a couple of steelhead boxes for this fall/winter. This will be my first season steelheading. I plan on making a few trips up to the Salmon and would appreciate any pointers. What are your favorite patterns/sizes?

#14 Suckerspawn in peach/roe, orange, yellow, blue, and cream.

#8 Woolley buggers in black and white.

#16-12 Black hare's ears

#16-12 Hare's ears

Any trout nymphs and streamers you already have.

Also don't forget your egg patterns in orange, pink, and cream. Try to get some egg sucking leech streamers, they'll work when some of the other streamers won't.

Thanks Breeches. I'll be sure to add some to the box.

In regards to streamers, do you guys find that more earthy colors like blacks, browns or olives produce better/more consistent results, or do you also mix it up with purple, pink & orange? Or is that more or less dependent on factors such as water clarity, flow, etc?

Eggs, eggs, and eggs. And white minnow patterns (white buggers will work fine)--not sure if these are good on the Salmon (never fished it) but for PA/OH erie tribs it's money in the bank

Everything mentioned. Ive also had good luck with stonefly nymphs. And I have buddies that love to swing BIG crazy colored streamers and absolutely destroy some fish.

Thanks for the info guys! I should have a pretty good start to my fall box.

Don't forget dark red in your egg selection.

Are 'Otter Eggs' considered flies if you secure one on a hook and use some glo yarn to make the veil? Just wondering, on a more traditional or ethical sense.

JWsmalls,
Presentation and choice of particular water location may be more important (not always) than the pattern of the fly.
Learn how to spot the steelhead and cast to it. Use your own judgment when you loose the fish and correct your next cast, tippet, leader and weight. Gain the knowledge from your own mistakes. Your tactics may vary at the next pool or the riffle you go to. Get yourself fine polarize glasses.
Here are some steelhead pattern pictures, you may find a couple of flies for yourself. Enjoy.

Attachments

• 1steelhead flies.jpg
    1steelhead flies.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 2steelhead flies.jpg
    2steelhead flies.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 3steelhead flies.jpg
    3steelhead flies.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 3
Back