Fall/Winter FF in Western PA

hughzar

hughzar

This will be my first Fall/Winter FF experience this year, and I'm having trouble picking out what flies to get my hands on. With colder water temps (especially in late Fall through the Winter), I know that nymphs are the way to go. I typically fish Slippery Rock Creek, Neshannock Creek, Pine Creek, and Deer Creek. The latter 3 creeks have DHALO sections with trout stocks in October. I missed out on just about all of regular trout season with my son being born so I didn't get to even test the stuff I had. Any tips on what to pick up for my favored creeks?

--Ryan

For slippery rock I would start with a big stonefly nymph...they are relatively active in the cold.
NC... I'd start with a hare's ear.
Deer and Pine... I'd start with an attractor pattern like eggs or san juan.
Mix and match if the starting flies don't produce.
Carry midge and bwo dry and subsurface patterns for all cold weather FF. If you run into any surface activity, it will likely be one of these two.
Try streamers fished deep and slow.

I've always had a lot of luck with spawn in the colder months... and if you're fishing over stocked fish, all the better. Buggers fished slow and your standard nymphs are good choices.

In addition to the hare's ear that David suggested for NC, I always have: Pheasant Tails, Cadis Pupa, BWO nymph, Copper Johns, Stones and Zebra Midges. Most of my luck is in sizes 14-18, but don't be afraid to go smaller either. You'll be surprised. Buggers are also a solid choice.

Try the infamous pink worm in the Slippery Rock DH section.

I like buggers tied on the small side like #12 and #14. Slow and deep as it was said, particularly when water temps get under 45 or so.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Don't forget about steelhead fishing. It's that time of year that the extra hour or so drive to Erie is well worth the trip. If you're interested just let me know and I'll let you tag along with me and I'll show you the ropes. I'm not too far from you.

Also, Slippery Rock's FFO section does get a fall stocking too. I'm not a fan of that stretch of water, and most of the fish are right by the bridge, but they'll dump some buckets in there.

ryguyfi, I am also new to FF and may have to take you up on the offer to go up steelheading sometime. I have planned a guided trip in mid October for some co-workers but was hoping to get out before then. Let me know when you plan to go up and i will see if i can join you or meet you up there.

ryguyfi - I completely forgot about the FFO section of the Slimy Peeble! That's the spot where I taught myself to cast. I had to trudge through some deep snow a few times just to get to the water. My buddy and I are planning on heading up to Erie in October to try uor hand at steelheading. I'll be sure to send you a message in the near future and hopefully we can set something up!

Hey Hughzar, I'm headed to Erie this Saturday the 2nd, and Smitty might join me. If you want to tag along with us let me know and we'll work out the carpool.

Back