Ethical question: Something I've never understood

F

FlyGuy12

So Saturday is the trout opener and I live in the Bucks County where trout stocked creeks are abundant and easily accessible. I've never really understood why people are so intent on catching 5 fish, stringing them all up, then packing it in and going home. Why are people allowed to do this in areas where trout aren't native? Wouldn't it make more sense to enforce a strict catch and release policy so others would get a chance to catch these fish throughout spring/summer?

It seems like trout fishing in areas that are only stocked end up getting fished out in less than a few days. Wouldn't it would make more sense just to go to the grocery store and buy a few trout fillets after a nice day of catch and release fishing; they are stocked fish anyway it's basically the same thing..? Sorry for the rant I'm new to the forum and only a few years into my fly fishing career so maybe there's something I'm missing here?

I think generally the idea is that most stocked Trout in PA are put there expressly to be caught and kept. This is especially true in the SE part of the state, where outside of streams with some type of limestone influence, the stocked Trout will not make it through the heat of Summer anyway. The consensus is generally that we’d rather have these fish caught and kept by folks who like to catch a few for the table, than wild fish in naturally reproducing, self-sustaining populations. Sure, more C&R and DHALO type stocked stream sections are a good thing in terms of extending the stocked Trout fishing season, but in many SE PA streams this just doesn’t make much sense as many years the Trout won’t survive much beyond Memorial Day to be caught anyway. The bottom line is that the majority of PA Trout stamp buyers target predominantly stocked Trout, and many like to keep at least a portion of their catch.

in some streams, especially the bigger ones that are stocked the water gets too warm during the summer for trout to survive. That is especially true in the southern part of the state. some also may not have the water quality that is necessary to hold native trout. yes catch and release fishing provides more opportunities for fun days on the water, many fisherman throughout the state enjoy having a fish fry and there are far more people who only fish the first few days keeping their limit compared to those whole practice catch and release year round. License sales fuel the regulations.
you can also consider the poor genetics of many fish stocked by state that have little chance of being able to ever reproduce in the wild so releasing them does not always lead to more fish. stocking streams that hold native and wild fish is usually detrimental to the wild populations.

I drive around on opening weekend just to drink coffee and watch the misery and fights.

Swattie87 wrote:
I think generally the idea is that most stocked Trout in PA are put there expressly to be caught and kept. This is especially true in the SE part of the state, where outside of streams with some type of limestone influence, the stocked Trout will not make it through the heat of Summer anyway. The consensus is generally that we’d rather have these fish caught and kept by folks who like to catch a few for the table, than wild fish in naturally reproducing, self-sustaining populations. Sure, more C&R and DHALO type stocked stream sections are a good thing in terms of extending the stocked Trout fishing season, but in many SE PA streams this just doesn’t make much sense as many years the Trout won’t survive much beyond Memorial Day to be caught anyway. The bottom line is that the majority of PA Trout stamp buyers target predominantly stocked Trout, and many like to keep at least a portion of their catch.

Mr.Swattie in all my years on this forum that is one of the best answers I've seen-Kudo's to you sir.

And part of it is just tradition.

That tradition was born out of a history of ruining streams with logging, siltation, sprawl, overfishing, warming of waterways (due to deforestation), etc. It took it's toll on the wild trout populations to where they no longer inhabited many streams. But people of the day depended on fishing for meals.

Instead of fixing the problem, they just stocked fish. Who cares if you kill all the fish? We'll just stock more.

In modern times, fishing has evolved in purpose from a meal source to sport. But the tradition remained. We've also improved many fisheries which now hold wild trout.

Now, streams that support good populations of wild trout and capable of supporting a sport fishery without stocking, aren't stocked. Streams which are not capable of that are stocked. The fish will die in the summertime anyway, so harvest is somewhat encouraged, as it does no harm and supports an outdated tradition.

There are two real sources of argument.

1. What constitutes a "good population" of wild fish that doesn't need to be stocked? The fish commission uses class A as it's criteria. If it holds some, but not "enough", wild trout, then it is class B or C and many of these are stocked. Many of us wild trout, C&R types would like to see the bar lowered, as class B and C streams do indeed provide a quality sport fishery without the need to stock.

2. In some of the more popular stocked locations, stocked fish are harvested so quickly that the sport fishery declines far before summer temperatures force it to. Nobody argues that these shouldn't be stocked. But why have a 3 week fishery when the stream is capable of providing a fishery for 6 months of the year? The fish commission addresses this partially with in-season and fall stockings, and partially by setting aside some popular stretches and designating them special regulation, with the aim of limiting harvest and mortality, and thus making the sport fishery last longer. DHALO, for instance, demands C&R during the early season, and allows harvest only as the water temps are getting too warm.

Most of us on this board would like to see more streams unstocked and designated for wild trout only. We'd also like to see more special regulation areas for those that do have to be stocked. But the fact remains that a high % of the license buyers are not avid fishermen, but rather fish the first weekend or two, then either stop fishing or else turn their focus to bass and warmwater species. They fish rarely and want to harvest when they do fish. Even if they spend much less time on the water than we do, they still buy exactly one license each, and hence are treated equally by the fish commission. And there are far more of them than us.

Even if they spend much less time on the water than we do, they still buy exactly one license each, and hence are treated equally by the fish commission. And there are far more of them than us.

Who would you say has a louder voice?

Duckfoot, I like that approach.

Swattie, and PCray, covered it well. The bottom line is trout stocking is to create an instant fishery. Put and take is the objective, not repopulation. Most hatchery fish don't have the genetics to survive now days anyway.

flyguy, first of all welcome. What the guys said above is right on. I live in Bucks county as well. The 2 streams near me are the Neshaminy and the Tohickon. By mid June the water in those streams is so hot they could not survive. The ones in the Tohickon either die off quickly or end up in the Delaware. So you might as well eat them.

GenCon

FlyGuy12 wrote:
So Saturday is the trout opener and I live in the Bucks County where trout stocked creeks are abundant and easily accessible. I've never really understood why people are so intent on catching 5 fish, stringing them all up, then packing it in and going home. Why are people allowed to do this in areas where trout aren't native? Wouldn't it make more sense to enforce a strict catch and release policy so others would get a chance to catch these fish throughout spring/summer?

It seems like trout fishing in areas that are only stocked end up getting fished out in less than a few days. Wouldn't it would make more sense just to go to the grocery store and buy a few trout fillets after a nice day of catch and release fishing; they are stocked fish anyway it's basically the same thing..? Sorry for the rant I'm new to the forum and only a few years into my fly fishing career so maybe there's something I'm missing here?
Well no! Trout are stocked in marginal streams, i.e. streams that don't support trout for whatever reason. It's the wild trout streams that really need the protective regulations to keep over harvest from happening. Trout should never be stocked over a thriving wild population.

I heard 2 guys complaining that the Perkiomen is fished out at the FFO section, and was wondering how that could be, it is under regulation for DH. Anyway I would have assured them it's not fished out if they have made the comment to me, and I would have showed them that there are still plenty of fish there. but you have to know how to catch wild browns they aren't always cooperative.

Chaz wrote:
and I would have showed them that there are still plenty of fish there. but you have to know how to catch wild browns they aren't always cooperative.
There is always another fish, another duck, another buck, another turkey...

I fish the Wissakickon regularly, but don't hit it till mid-May when most of the people who want their five fish limit are convinced a). the trout are fished out. b). the state didn't stock enough fish and they didn't get their money's worth. I've caught trout there through mid-July but usually don't fish for them once the water warms up. They're around through the summer even when the creek is really warm. I've spooked them when wading in areas where there are seep springs and the water is noticeably cooler.

Back