Essential Flies?

F

froggyman

Hi there, I'm completely new to the sport of fly fishing after spending much time in as a spin fisherman. i recently ordered my first rod and was wondering what fly would be considered essential for stream trout and panfish/pickerel
So far I've ordered
12 Olive Matuka size 12
12 Adams Dry size 12
12 Coachman size 12

Thank you

Beadhead Wooly Bugger
Black
Brown
Olive
White (stocked fish)

My suggestions:
1. You did well to get some Adams dries, though you might want some size 14's.
2. Get some size 12 and 14 beadhead nymphs; it probably isn't too important what kind. I like Hares Ear and Muskrat nymphs.
3. Some Copper John nymphs in sizes 12 and 14 might be helpful.
4. Some caddis dry flies. The Troth Caddis style is popular. I like the Wright Caddis style. Get them in several colors, including grayish ones and tan ones. Sizes 14 and 16.
5. As you progress, some smaller flies will be helpful, such as a Griffith's Gnat in size 18 or even smaller.
6. When you begin encountering fly hatches, you'll want hatch matchers. My guess is that you'll encounter gray flies in the spring, for which the Adams is oftern close enough. In May, most places have some sulphurs, which can be matched with flies in sizes 14 thru 18.

7. This is a lot to digest at first. But, if you stock up in numbers 1-5, you ought to be ready to go for many outings.

csoult-white for stockies? I've always heard/experienced a preference for orange. also as far as beadheads go, have you had any luck/experience with tungsten heads over the traditional bead?

rrt-as far as caddis would it be helpful to get some nymphs as well? the streams up here have plenty of stonefly and caddis larvae though im not sure of their palatability.

Also as far as warm water flies go, could you point me in the direction of some patterns that imitate small baitfish?

I would also suggest some ants and beetles. I catch fish on them all summer and fall

froggyman trout prefer an orange color and green color as well. this is because both of these colors represent protein to them this is probably why you have heard and experienced success with orange.

peasant tails and hares ears. all colors and and sizes. the 2 most versatile flies.

froggyman wrote:
what fly would be considered essential for stream trout

http://lvlimestoner.blogspot.com/2011/02/unacceptable-weather-also-fly-selection.html
Nymph: Pheasant Tails and Hare's Ears for nymphs, sizes 14 through 18.
Wet: Peacock-and-partridge soft hackles for wets, 14 through 16.
Dry: Elk Hair Caddis (or better yet, CDC-and-Elk) dry flies, 14 through 16.
Dry: Adams dry flies, 12 through 18.
Dry: Blue Wing Olive dry flies, 16 through 18.
Dry: Sulphur dry flies, 14 through 16.
Dry: Royal Wulff dry flies, 12 through 16. Stick to the classic upright wing(s) here, no parachute.
Dry: Beetles, 14 through 16.
Dry: Grasshoppers, 8 through 10, or crickets, 10 through 12. Both if you're flush with cash.
Streamer: Wooly Buggers in olive and black, 6 through 8.

For the dry flies, you can buy them regular or parachute style. If you're going to buy one, go parachute. Or, that's my personal opinion. If you want someone else's, navigate to another blog. The nymphs come in bead head versions or not, buy some of each.

Basically, that's a full listing of everything you need. If the bug coming off the water is light, you use the sulphur. If its dark, use the Adams. Those tiny little ones with the grey wings, you probably don't need me to tell you this, but they're the blue wing olives.

The terrestials come into their own in summer, when the spring mayflies have mostly run their course.

Then there's the Royal Wulff... What the hell does it look like?
Strawberries-and-cream said its designer, Lee Wulff. Besides being one of my personal pet patterns, its great for "prospecting," or randomly throwing a dry to likely places. It floats like a champ, works well as an indicator, and is a timeless classic. If people see the Wulff at the end of your line, they know you mean business.

Panfish? They eat anything. Seriously. Anything.

^ That post never gets old.

I will mostly likely "mean business" this weekend on some Poconos streams.

froggy - I suppose I could/should actually add some useful information. As a fly fisherman about 6 months ahead of you in the curve (this is my first year fly fishing), gfen's list is spot on. That will cover all your basics and once you learn a little primitive presentation technique, you will catch fish with those flies.

Once you learn a little, and catch a few fish you'll begin to pick up which specific flies you like and suit your fishing style, and work well on the streams you fish, but gfen's list is a great starting block.

Thanks guys, my rod came today so ill have plenty of time to develop a feel for the streams around here soon...:)

froggyman wrote:
Thanks guys, my rod came today so ill have plenty of time to develop a feel for the streams around here soon...:)

So how is that new rod? Did you test it out?

it never hurts to try a partridge and orange.

shakey wrote:
it never hurts to try a partridge and orange.

It hurt me today Shakey.....Stuck one in my lip biting off the tag. I did get rewarded by sticking a fish with it though. Soooo.....

Back