Erie steelhead

P

Punn177

So I'm not new to fly fishing, and I've been trolling the forums for over a year. But I've never fly fished for steelies and have a trip to Erie in march. My question is, can some one link me a steelhead leader and tippet? I have a 5wt and 8wt fly pole (both wf line) which to use and what leader/tippet? Fly fishing for steelhead is foreign to me. I've tied all my egg patterns from sucker spawn to nuke eggs and crystal meth. Just need a leader/tippet setup. Thanks in advance!!

Welcome to the board Punn.

Here's what I use:
Start with a 7.5 foot tapered 3X leader.
Tie in a small barrel swivel at about 5 to 5.5 feet. (you may want to leave a tag on your knot here where you could attach weight)
Add your tippet to the swivel.
Tippet length depends on the run you are trying to fish, but 3 to 4 feet is pretty typical for me.
I mostly fish 3X fluorocarbon tippet in Erie, occasionally 2X or 4X.

You CAN fish for steelhead with a 5wt, but I fish with an 8 and like being able to muscle the fish in.

Barrel swivel like Albatross said is the way to go. You'll get a fair amount of snags and break offs and it will break off at the swivel every time which saves time and leaders. I use anywhere from 4x to 2x tippet up there depending on conditions.

All i run is a 4 or 5 ft section of 15lb mono to a small barrel swivel then 4 ft or so of fluro tippet . i attach desired float to the floating mono and go for it.

I fish Erie steelhead quite a bit and while those steelies aren't monsters I think a #5 line/rod is way too light. You are likely going to be throwing a couple or BB's, an indicator, and often two flies and IMO you should be using a #6 or #7. Sometimes I use a #7 if the water is up and I know I'll be fishing #10 stone flies and big Glo bugs, and maybe a couple 3/0 split shot but mostly I use an 11' #6 switch rod and can tame any steelhead up there.

Regarding leaders ten guys will probably have ten opinions but my preference is a 9' - 10' total length. I typically put on a 7 1/2' 2X leader, then add one of those micro barrrel swivels (they are hard to find and only about 1/4" long) then I add a piece of Rio fluorocarbon 3X or 4X about 2 1/2' long. I've used 5X in very low and clear conditions but while I can play them well on 5X I often have them break me off when the fight is almost over and I'm trying to beach them on gravel. They flip their tail and the leader pops.

I used a 6wt rod once and i'll never do that again. I like an 8wt, it is a perfect choice, it allows you to 'horse them around a bit.' As for leaders and tippets, if you are nymphing, using eggs or whatever with split shots a taper is pointless, i use 5' of 15 pound mono to tippet normally 4x fluoro ( use a tandem rig as well, i normally go egg first and tail it with a copper john ).

Micro swivels are readily available from fish USA. I use the ravens.

Back