Brookies in the LL?????

Stagger_Lee

Stagger_Lee

Actually took my net and phone out today and caught what I think is a brook trout. I'll post it later when I get home but red dots mean brook trout, right?

Stagger_Lee wrote:
Actually took my net and phone out today and caught what I think is a brook trout. I'll post it later when I get home but red dots mean brook trout, right?

Red dots do not equal brook trout. Plenty of brown trout have red dots.

How exactly did you catch a fish with a net and a phone? :cool:

"How exactly did you catch a fish with a net and a phone?"

I'd like to know as well. Hopefully he got video.

Both brookies and browns have the red spots. Tell by the body color and the non-red spots.

Brown = light brown body with dark brown/black spots.
Brook = dark (usually olive) body with light yellow spots

Text the trout to meet in the net!!---Du-- LOL
Sean

"How exactly did you catch a fish with a net and a phone?"

I'd like to know as well. Hopefully he got video.

Lol ... Yea I'm the ultimate multi-tasker but I forgot the GoPro

//Phiend .. did u make it up the in the afternoon?

20130802_090853_zpsd9957041.jpg

20130802_090807_zpsb80ab21e.jpg

Sorry Andrew but that's a brown trout. Remember light background=brown trout, dark background=brook trout.

I am leaving now. Should get there about 6:30.

That is a nice fish. What did he eat?

Methinks we've created a fish catching monster!

BTW - there is brookies in the LL. I caught one this year that was stranded in a small pool after a high water event. Net only, as I didn't have his phone number. ;-)

There's a lot of stocked brookies in there, but that one sure looked like a wild brookie to me. In past electroshock surveys, wild brookies were found in the stream.

At the rate you're going, I'm sure you'll catch one soon.

WTT wrote:

Sorry Andrew but that's a brown trout. Remember light background=brown trout, dark background=brook trout.
I was just happy to bring another one in. Is it wild or do they stock browns in there?

phiend wrote:

I am leaving now. Should get there about 6:30.

That is a nice fish. What did he eat?
I was jazzed .. he put up a nice fight, ate a trico. Good luck tonight.

HA wrote:

Methinks we've created a fish catching monster!

Very positive/fun week for me and that other thread really helped me put some things together (in my head) on how to hook'em, cast/mend, find, etc. After the hatch, b4 I left, I lost two others but I have a better understanding what to do and just have to continue 'working' at it. Worked on my mending and doing what many of u gents reccomended, the reach cast. When I did it somewhat correctly, was very helpful. Didn't even go for the nymph box today.

I used ur PM as guidance; the hatch was decent this AM and saw where they were rising. I replied from my fone but just want to make it went the thru? The one abt "tomorrow being today and today being ysterday" or whatever it was that I exactly wrote ....

Yeah, I got your PM - thanks.

With my goofy work schedule, I just seperate work nights from non-work nights. Don't get too many nights off these days.

Good thing I like fishing the trico hatch!

The majority of browns in the LL are wild fish. There's always the possibility of a hatchery escapee though. They've improved on that at the hatchery, and as far as I know, don't dump fish into the stream like in years past with every high water event.

I have been told that decades ago the LL was an excellent native brookie stream. I always wondered how true it was.

That's a wild Brown Stagger. A very nice one too...great pattern and color.

Back