Backpacking fly fishing questions...

P

Philosofish

I'm looking to put together an ultralight fly fishing setup for under $150 bucks to bring backpacking with me. Ideally something that breaks down real small. I know about Tenkara but because I am a beginner fly fisherman (haven't even caught a fish yet), I want to learn how to master using a reel.

So far I've found these:

Wild Water Fly Fishing "Wild Country" 3 Weight, 5 Foot 6 Inches, 4 Piece Freshwater Fishing Rod

Cortland Travel Fly Fishing Outfit Combo 9'0" 5/6 Weight 4-Piece

For the Wild Water rod, I'd need to buy a reel which would probably make it more expensive than the Cortland. A 5 foot 6 inch rod seems awful small but it has the added benefit of being super compact for carrying on my back. Weight/size is crucial.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Also, any recommendations of areas in NEPA where a 4 hour or less hike can put you right next to a stream/creek in solitude? I had a great recommendation already in another thread.

A little above your price range ($198), but great BPing rods. I have a 6/7' 4wt 7piece that fits in a backpack.

http://store.beekflies.com/marchbrown4.html

Good luck.

I recommend getting a 5 piece, 7 1/2 ft, 4 wt rod. That will be small enough to backpack, but give you enough power for casting.

@ afishinado: Nice looking rod. I like how you can remove a section to change the length of the rod. But yeah, a little out of my price range.

@ troutbert: Thanks. Any brand recommendations in my price range ($150)?

Since making that post, I also found this one:

Dblue Customized Travel Fly Rod 8'9" 7 pcs

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390141282906&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=WXF%3F&GUID=91dd027811a0a04179832003fffc0a4a&itemid=390141282906&ff4=263602_263622

Would a 7 piece rod be a nightmare?

What kind of affordable lightweight reel would be good for these rods?

Here's a 71/2' 4wt 6-piece from Cabelas for $130. If you can, try test casting it at the store:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431-cat604905&id=0079718321237a&navCount=1&podId=0079718&parentId=cat604905&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=QL&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

Good luck.

troutbert: Thanks. Any brand recommendations in my price range ($150)?

I'm not really up on what 7 1/2, 4 wt, 5 piece rods are available. There are many, many. Maybe someone else can make some suggestions on specific models.

cabela's makes a 6pc in various wts, start around 120 bucks. I built one from a blank that was on clearance for 30 bucks, nice little rod and perfect for backpacking. check out the bargain cave section on thier website, might catch a deal!
you don't really need anything smaller than a 4 piece, I've taken 2 pc rods along backpacking, just strap the rod tube on the side of the pack. the smaller packing rods are nice though. if your backpacking in to a stream, I'm assuming your fishing little brookie streams and such, so you don't need a big rod, a 3 or 4 wt would probably be enough.

Wild Water Fly Fishing "Wild Country" 3 Weight, 5 Foot 6 Inches, 4 Piece Freshwater Fishing Rod

I would stay away from this short of a rod. A rod in the 7 1/2 ft or longer length and for 4wt line will be much more versatile and still serve you well on very small streams.

The shortest rod I regularly fish is a 6' 6" 3wt and it is often too short for my tastes, even on some really tight streams.

Kev

Here is a pic of a Winston 8'3 5 pc vs a Orvis 8'6 4 pc. Just for comparison purposes.

Not a huge difference but backpackers can get maniacal about size and weight. (sounds like flyfishers) People I know on the AT drilled holes in their toothbrushes.

My take is- it's nice to have a small packing rod but it is not required- unless their is a travel requirement from an airline or where your hiking is so overgrown your rod tube would catch on alot of vegatation.

Here's my pack with a 2 pc 9 foot rod- never was a problem.

Cant help with a rod- have looked a gear in several years.

I will be backpacking the Golden Trout Wilderness in CA and do plan on taking the 5pc.

Good luck.

Attachments

• shots 012.jpg
    shots 012.jpg
    786.9 KB · Views: 4
  • sanjuanmtn.jpg
    sanjuanmtn.jpg
    858.4 KB · Views: 7
  • SanJuanMtns.jpg
    SanJuanMtns.jpg
    800.8 KB · Views: 4
Here's a really sweet 8'6" 4wt 8pc rod I've been thinking of buying.

LL Bean Travel Series

Yeah, it's $25 more than your limit, but it is a great quality fly rod. The alignment dots make it a breeze to set up, and it casts and feels like a 2pc rod. Lifetime guarantee, too. The case is TINY, and has a divided liner, so there's no messing with a rod sock. I hate rod socks!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0079746320427a&navCount=4&podId=0079746&parentId=cat604907&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20431-cat604907&catalogCode=IA&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat604907&hasJS=true

Re: those March Brown travel rods.

I own the 7 piece Hidden Water rod and it is sweet. Just email them through their website. www.marchbrown.com

I did around the holidays and they cut me a deal for around $100 and free shipping. No joke. Sometimes all it takes is to ask.

I paired mine up with an Albright Topwater reel.

Attachments

• 005 [640x480].JPG
    005 [640x480].JPG
    114 KB · Views: 3
If you're just starting out, I don't think 5'-6' flyrods are the easiest to learn good casting with and besides they're more limited and specialized anyway. Like Troutbert said, I'd definitely stick with about a 7' flyrod in a 4weight. I have a 7', 4wt, 4-piece Wild Waters and I really like it. Very reasonably priced (I'm not an expensive rod type) and it performs well. I alo happen to have a one of the Cabela's 6-piece Stowaway models (8'5" 4wt) and I absolutely love it. Again great price and it absolutely casts great, has great "feel" to the rod, and packs down small. Based on my experience with both their previous 7pc and now the 6pc, I'd recommend giving it a try in a 7' or 7'5" model.

Agreed on the short rod. I'd bump it up to 7'6'', personally. There are plenty of small stream situations where I wish I had my 11' rod, just for the reach capabilities. The only reason I don't take a rod like that is because there's limited room to cast it, and it's a pain to bushwhack with.

Something under 7' is approaching novelty land IMO.

You guys are awesome. I appreciate all the recommendations. Have to say this is the most helpful and friendly forum I've ever been on. I'm looking over my options and I'll let you guys know what I pick up and how I like it.

RyanR wrote:
If you're just starting out, I don't think 5'-6' flyrods are the easiest to learn good casting with and besides they're more limited and specialized anyway. Like Troutbert said, I'd definitely stick with about a 7' flyrod in a 4weight. I have a 7', 4wt, 4-piece Wild Waters and I really like it. Very reasonably priced (I'm not an expensive rod type) and it performs well. I alo happen to have a one of the Cabela's 6-piece Stowaway models (8'5" 4wt) and I absolutely love it. Again great price and it absolutely casts great, has great "feel" to the rod, and packs down small. Based on my experience with both their previous 7pc and now the 6pc, I'd recommend giving it a try in a 7' or 7'5" model.

I recommend at least a 7 1/2 footer. In fact I use an 8 1/2 foot rod quite a bit on forested freestone streams in PA, on streams of about the size of Slate and Cedar and Young Womans Creek and anything larger. Those streams are large enough and open enough to fish easily with an 8 1/2 foot rod.

I use the 7 1/2 foot rod on streams smaller than those, i.e. streams that are about 15 foot wide or less.

An 8 foot, 4 weight might be really nice on the mountain streams. It's on my wish list.

S'funny, I actually enjoy my 6'6" rod, but I do see the hindrances quickly vis-a-vis an 8' rod.

I'd actually considered a 5'6" rod instead of the 6'6", and I'm VERY glad I didn't. I've come to realize its not so much the whacking of branches that I see an issue with, resolved with rod length, as much as the unfurling backcast which is going to be an issue regardless of length.

Furthermore, a longer rod would probably reduce the need for backcasts in many circumstances, with easier roll casting, dapping and less false casts to get 'em out there.

On travel rods? I got little to say. I do know that the more pieces a rod has, the more annoying I find them. I can't imagine a 6 piece, or more, rod without alignment dots though.

I'd give a serious thought to the Bean rod up there. If for no other reason than the garuntee: You break it, you walk in and walk out with a new one. Can't beat that. Also, alignment dots!

Oh, and HA, if you need cash to buy that guy, I know someone who'll take a tenkara rod off your hands.... ;)

I much prefer long rods. Actually, I tend to use a 7 or 7.5 ft rod on small streams close to my vehicle. The last thing I want to do is pack in a rod that doesn't have enough balls to fish a section of water. an 8+ ft rod is much more versatile and I'd suggest a 4 wt. There's a big jump in what a 4wt can do vs a 3wt. 3 weights can be fun, but they're just a toy IMO.

gfen wrote:

Oh, and HA, if you need cash to buy that guy, I know someone who'll take a tenkara rod off your hands.... ;)

Don't hold your breath..... :lol:

One of the reasons I work two jobs is to have "mad money" to buy more toys. Eventually, I'll actually have time to enjoy them.

The 6wt travel rod is higher up on my list - because of the Tenkara rod. And the Tenkara rod doesn't count against the 40 rod rule. :cool:

That short stuff is ok for Pa but don't take it hiking out west. Too much roll casting at distance with nothing but pine or cliff at your back.

Back